m. u. breech plug problem

hunter49

I have a new M.U. breech pulg in my N.E.F. 50 cal. Huntsman. I shot it today for the first time . The problem is I shot it 12 - 15 times & I had to pry out the spent primers useing a knife & pliers . This will not do ! Does anyone know why this would be happening & what can be done to fix this problem?? Any help would be great & A.S.A.P.!! Thanks

If it is after you have shot 12-15 times, change the oring to see if that helps. I had the same problem when I first got my MU plug. I called Nick at MU. He said with the head spacing different from gun there is slight tolerance differences. he told me to drill out the primer hole approx 5/1000 of an inch which is not very much. This accomplshes two things. it gives room for slight more expansion horizontally rather than vertically and it also cones the end of the primer hole. he also suggests using 777 primers which are a little less hot. I use them with blackhorn 209 powder, and have not had a misfire yet. I was kind of instrumental in getting the plug going with Nick, whom I have known for a while. If all this is confusing, shoot me a pm with a phone number I will will call and explain better. The simplest solution by far is just remove the oring and shoot it without. This however does tend to allow for more blowback. One last fix is to change the brand of orings you use. Some have went to a thinner ring with good success also. The simplest solution has been to drill the plug.

I would try some different primers before I got the drill out on a new breech plug. Sometimes its just that simple. I noticed that Federal and Winchester work fine in my rifle where CCI are tight and always get stuck. Also, try snapping the gun on a stuck primer, might help let it loose.

I never owned a MU plug, but it is kinda crappy you would have to drill a brand new one...

I will keep the original Breach plug in my NEF Huntsman . I like the Orange Carriers as I have some arthritis in my fingers and it makes it easier to handle loading the primers . I also like the fact that if I see an orange tab sticking out of the side , it may very well be live .

it is a new breech plug yes but it is a replacement plug made to basic specifications. As I stated, head space varies in the guns so it may need adjusting. Also as my post stated, it was ome of many suggestions, one of which was to try different primers.

Edited by bubba

I will keep the original Breach plug in my NEF Huntsman . I like the Orange Carriers as I have some arthritis in my fingers and it makes it easier to handle loading the primers . I also like the fact that if I see an orange tab sticking out of the side , it may very well be live .

X2. Well, all except the arthritis part.

I to Like Bubba did alot of testing, I also had the same issue as you. I switched to shorter primer and that took care of everything. If you like the primer you are using just carry a leatherman tool and use the needle nose to pull out. If Bubba doesn't buy your plug I will. I know have three and all work like a charm. I change the O ring every 20-30 shots.LAst I heard Nick had left the company that makes them and they were using up what stock they had left.After that who knows if they will be in production.Are you using a Lowes # 60 for your O ring

Bubba I think some other ML now are using the O ring in after market plugs, maybe the Encore or vent liner like Savage and some Accura after market plugs.I think .....

The orange primer carriers are great for safety but will not work 100% of the time with Black horn 209.That is why MU came out with a plug.

Steve

Edited by sbuff

Thanks for the info. I feel the problem is more of an expandsion/diameter thing than a lenght problem. I am waiting for the replacement plug & hope it works ,I can try other primers if needed. What do you guys use to carry your extra primers in,in the field for a quick reload? I have been dealing with a Bob at M.U. about this .

the problem falls in length. As the primer expand length wise an runs out of room, it expands diameter wise. ifit is only after you have shot it, it may be a dirty breech plug problem. What powder are you shooting and forgive me if you posted this, but I am too lazy to look back up the list. If you are shooting a dirty powder, just remove the oring and shoot without it. The oring takes up the room for the primer to expand. As stated some guys went to a narrower oring. MU recommends t7 primers. I use them in the mu plug with bh 209 and have never had a misfire, and stuck primers are a thing of the past after switching from win and cci