Garmin Striker 4 fishfinder/gps

wolc123

Bass Pro Shops had these on sale last week ($ 99), so I ordered one and it arrived yesterday.   It is surely a major upgrade from the old Huminbird that I had up in the bow of my boat.    It will be nice to be able to read water surface temperature again, since my old Lowrance temperture gauge has not worked in about 10 years.   The GPS feature should be good for getting back to the "hot-spots".    I am very "old-school", so I am sure I will appreciate the "flasher" feature.    Hopefully, the screen will be easy to read in the bright sunlight (that was often a struggle with my old flasher).   I am pretty sure that my favorite feature will be the silent operation, after listening to the old Huminbird "hum" loudly for the last 30 years.   Last Sunday, it was more of a "scream", as the bearings must be on their way out on the drive motor.  I have two Eagle Sonar units on the boat (a LCD graph at the stern and a 35 year old "Silent-60" flasher at the center council) and both are noise-free.   I always disliked that loud Huminbird up front due to its "hum".    

One of tomorrow's projects will be to get it mounted on my boat.   It came with a trolling motor transducer mount.  I had Jury-rigged a transom transducer on my trolling motor for the old Huminbird, after the custom trolling motor transducer (that I think I paid  $ 100 for), got wrecked.   That worked ok, but never as good as the custom trolling motor unit.  I nearly skipped this new purchase, and almost moved the old Eagle graph from the back up to the front instead, since I rarely use it back there anymore.   I might try backtrolling for walleyes or salmon trolling with downriggers again someday, and that stern mount graph is great for those.  It was really the GPS that made me drop the hundred however, and I would have hesitated even less had I known about the surface temperature feature.            

On 5/26/2020 at 7:47 PM, grampy said:

Nice!

He got a great little motor and a real good deal!

Let us know what fish finder you get? Check out the Garmin's. I switched over to them three or four years ago, and love em!

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will keep you posted on how it works out, but probably will not get out fishing again before the third Saturday in June.   The new fishing rod that I ordered the same day, from the same place did not arrive yet but they say that it shipped.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I have the portable version for rowboats and it works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was hoping to get it installed today, but the weather is too good for working outside.  The ground is drying out real well and I still got lots of corn to plant.    It is supposed to rain on Tuesday, so I will probably get it installed then.    You can see my old Eagle flasher on the council and a little bit of the Eagle LCR graph at the stern, but this little baby will go up front by the trolling motor:

truck and boat in barn.jpeg

Maybe I will put disconnects on the power cable so that I can take it up to the in-laws place in the Adirondacks and use it on a rowboat or my father in law's party boat (he keeps a 12-volt battery on that for his 10 hp, 4-stroke, electric-start, "weighs a ton" Honda outboard.  I mostly fish the shoreline up there, so a depth-finder is not a necessity.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I run the striker 4 on my kayak, it works pretty well, especially for the price.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I see that it runs two frequencies.   One is supposed to provide better definition and the other a wider field of view.   Which one do you use most often ?  I don't often use the bow-mount sonar on water that is more than 40 feet deep, so I imagine that I will be running the lower frequency most often.   Does the surface temperature readout seem to be accurate ?   

On rare occasions, I fish from a canoe, so maybe I will rig up a portable setup to do that (it would also work on the rowboats up at my in-laws).  I used one of my flashers for that a few times, carrying the unit and a lawn-mower battery in a wooden box, and using a clamp-on transducer mount.  It would not be difficult to modify that setup for the Garmin.   My daughter located a sunken wood boat, a few years ago when the lake level was real low, up at the in-laws.    With this thing, and the built in GPS, I ought to be able to pinpoint its location.  That would be a good structure to hold fish if nothing else.   It looked like about a 14 footer, but when I dove down about 15 feet, and tried to attach a hook to the bow cleat, it pulled off.    The last few years the lake has been much deeper so there has been no getting to it.    

Use the "Traditional" mode or the "Split Frequency" mode. Will be all you need. Water temp seems to be very accurate. But it is only reading the surface temp. Just a few feet down and it could be cooler though.

I am working on the installation this morning and struck a small "glitch".   The power cable has (4) wires and no where in the included "mult-lingual" paperwork was it defined what they were for.    After looking it up on youtube, etc, it seems that the two extra cables are optional for some type of VHS hookup or a Garmin add-on of some type.   The trolling motor transducer part went very well and it fits my bow-mount Min-kota perfectly.   I was waiting for a rainy day to get this project done but there is none in the long term forecast.  

2 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

I have the striker 4 plus cv i use on my kayak ... its a nice little unit.

I finished the hookup and it seems to work ok in the barn.   I won't find out how it works in the water for a few more weeks.  It sure is quiet compared to the old Huminbird flasher.   I know I will love that part at least.   The screen looks like it will be a lot easier to read in the bright sunlight, which was always an issue with my old flasher also.  The GPS is going to take some getting used to.  I suppose that will still work without the transducer in the water (it will only be in when my trolling motor is in action).   It seems to have a pretty user-friendly menu.    

If I like it, I may get another with a portable kit to use on a canoe, kayak, or rowboat.  There are a fleet of of those up at my in-laws place in the Adirondacks.  I also just picked up a 12 foot Sears gamefisher aluminum rowboat, for use around home.  It looks to be in good shape and I got a great deal on it (same price as the Garmin Striker-4).  I have always wanted to try Hemlock lake.   If and when I get around to registering the "new" 1979 rowboat, I might give it a try.   My 1956 5.5 Evinrude ought to be legal there, but I would probably go with my older Mercury 5, since it runs 40:1 oil mix ratio compared to 16:1 on the old Evinrude.   I don't care for much extra "complexity" in my brew.  It would be cool to fish the lake where the primary ingredient of my favorite beverage comes from (thats the "Geneseecret").      

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I finished the hookup and it seems to work ok in the barn.   I won't find out how it works in the water for a few more weeks.  It sure is quiet compared to the old Huminbird flasher.   I know I will love that part at least.   The screen looks like it will be a lot easier to read in the bright sunlight, which was always an issue with my old flasher also.  The GPS is going to take some getting used to.  I suppose that will still work without the transducer in the water (it will only be in when my trolling motor is in action).   It seems to have a pretty user-friendly menu.    

If I like it, I may get another with a portable kit to use on a canoe, kayak, or rowboat.  There are a fleet of of those up at my in-laws place in the Adirondacks.  I also just picked up a 12 foot Sears gamefisher aluminum rowboat, for use around home.  It looks to be in good shape and I got a great deal on it (same price as the Garmin Striker-4).  I have always wanted to try Hemlock lake.   If and when I get around to registering the "new" 1979 rowboat, I might give it a try.   My 1956 5.5 Evinrude ought to be legal there, but I would probably go with my older Mercury 5, since it runs 40:1 oil mix ratio compared to 16:1 on the old Evinrude.   I don't care for much extra "complexity" in my brew.  It would be cool to fish the lake where the primary ingredient of my favorite beverage comes from (thats the "Geneseecret").      

I still find it hard to see in bright conditions. Also i get a warning to power off if transducer is not connected.  I took some thin aluminum to make a sun shield for it.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

It's only 100 bucks?! I'll give you 101 for it

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

I am not yet sure that it will float, but all the rivets look tight and it looks like it should.   Hopefully, our creek will rise soon, and I can drag it out and give it a try.  We are a bit overdue for some "high-water".   We have been struggling at home,  for the last 20 years or so, with a tippy canoe when that happens.  I have regretted trading my old 14 ft Starcraft rowboat for that canoe.   It will be nice having a stable rowboat again.    

I have another, older Sears Gamefisher 12-foot rowboat up at the in-laws place, but that one has a narrower beam and seems to be made from lighter gauge aluminum.  I also don't have paperwork for that one, so I can't register it.  That is no big deal on that "private" lake.  This one is quite a bit heavier and looks like it would be a lot more stable.  I am looking forward to getting it out on Hemlock lake, but first I got to make sure that it floats.   If nothing else, maybe I will drag it back to the pond this summer, or fill it with a garden hose.    

I am lacking oars at home right now though, but I hope to remember to bring a set home from the in-law's when we visit up there on the 4th of July.   There are a few extra sets up there, but all I got at home are paddles.    The guy I bought this one from had not had it in the water for a long time.  He just used it upside down, over the top of his "work-boat", for winter storage.        

• Like 1

I am not yet sure that it will float, but all the rivets look tight and it looks like it should.   Hopefully, our creek will rise soon, and I can drag it out and give it a try.  We are a bit overdue for some "high-water".   We have been struggling at home,  for the last 20 years or so, with a tippy canoe when that happens.  I have regretted trading my old 14 ft Starcraft rowboat for that canoe.   It will be nice having a stable rowboat again.    
I have another, older Sears Gamefisher 12-foot rowboat up at the in-laws place, but that one has a narrower beam and seems to be made from lighter gauge aluminum.  I also don't have paperwork for that one, so I can't register it.  That is no big deal on that "private" lake.  This one is quite a bit heavier and looks like it would be a lot more stable.  I am looking forward to getting it out on Hemlock lake, but first I got to make sure that it floats.   If nothing else, maybe I will drag it back to the pond this summer, or fill it with a garden hose.    
I am lacking oars at home right now though, but I hope to remember to bring a set home from the in-law's when we visit up there on the 4th of July.   There are a few extra sets up there, but all I got at home are paddles.    The guy I bought this one from had not had it in the water for a long time.  He just used it upside down, over the top of his "work-boat", for winter storage.        
Even if you have to jbweld up any potential small leaks that's a hell of a deal! Probably can scrap it for decent money if it winds up being a total wash

50 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

Even if you have to jbweld up any potential small leaks that's a hell of a deal! Probably can scrap it for decent money if it winds up being a total wash

It does look like a much better hull design than my other 12 foot Sears "Gamefisher".  That one does not leak at all, but it is poorly designed and it is much slower, using the same outboard motors, as my father in law's 14 ft Meyers rowboat.    I only use that one over Thanksgiving weekend (on the years when the lake is not froze by then), because it is light, cheap, and crappy enough to just leave down by the water year-round.   We always bring the "good" boat up for winter storage by that time.        

There must have been a few different vendors who built the aluminum boats for Sears back then.   I paid $ 250 for the "crappy" one (found on Craigslist), but that deal included my 1956, 5.5 hp Evinrude, and a 10 hp Chrysler outboard.   I gave my marina-owning buddy (the guy I got the "new" boat from), that Chrysler in exchange for his getting the Evinrude running like a watch, and finding me a nice, OEM 4 gallon, pressurized fuel tank for it.   The prior owner used a home-made contraption (made from a 5-gallon plastic bucket) for a fuel tank.      

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

It does look like a much better hull design than my other 12 foot Sears "Gamefisher".  That one does not leak at all, but it is poorly designed and it is much slower, using the same outboard motors, as my father in law's 14 ft Meyers rowboat.    I only use that one over Thanksgiving weekend (on the years when the lake is not froze by then), because it is light, cheap, and crappy enough to just leave down by the water year-round.   We always bring the "good" boat up for winter storage by that time.        
There must have been a few different vendors who built the aluminum boats for Sears back then.   I paid $ 250 for the "crappy" one (found on Craigslist), but that deal included my 1956, 5.5 hp Evinrude, and a 10 hp Chrysler outboard.   I gave my marina-owning buddy (the guy I got the "new" boat from), that Chrysler in exchange for his getting the Evinrude running like a watch, and finding me a nice, OEM 4 gallon, pressurized fuel tank for it.   The prior owner used a home-made contraption (made from a 5-gallon plastic bucket) for a fuel tank.      
That homemade fuel tank sounds incredibly sketchy if only there was pictures

44 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

That homemade fuel tank sounds incredibly sketchy if only there was pictures

I never tried it and it looked dangerous.  The guy claimed that it worked good though.   I like the old OMC factory pressurized tanks and two-hose systems better than the newer setups.   It seems that the old motors with those idled down and trolled a little better.   I also had a 1971 9.5 Evinrude, in addition to the 1989 15 hp Johnson (both with the modern single hose fuel systems) and neither idled down as smooth as the 1956 5.5 Evinrude.   That was actually the same year/make/model motor that Cathryn Hepburn used on a rowboat in "On Golden Pond" to bring the guys their lunch while they were fishing out on the big boat.   Up at the in-laws, we call it the "Ethyl Thayer".       

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I never tried it and it looked dangerous.  The guy claimed that it worked good though.   I like the old OMC factory pressurized tanks and two-hose systems better than the newer setups.   It seems that the old motors with those idled down and trolled a little better.   I also had a 1971 9.5 Evinrude, in addition to the 1989 15 hp Johnson (both with the modern single hose fuel systems) and neither idled down as smooth as the 1956 5.5 Evinrude.   That was actually the same year/make/model motor that Cathryn Hepburn used on a rowboat in "On Golden Pond" to bring the guys their lunch while they were fishing out on the big boat.   Up at the in-laws, we call it the "Ethyl Thayer".       

That movie is wildly
Under appreciated!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That movie is wildly
Under appreciated!

It is #2 on my top 5 list, right after another, older Henry Fonda movie without Jane (Never give and inch).    Jaws is # 3, Patton # 4, and the original "True Grit" is # 5. 

I will have the old "Ethyl Thayer" 1956, 5-1/2 Evinrude along for backup out on lake Erie tomorrow, but it likely wont get fired up until the upcoming Holiday weekend, when I will have it on my father in law's 14 foot Meyers rowboat, up in the Adirondacks.    A few years ago, on that same long weekend, I used that rig to tow a big party boat full of folks from across the lake back to their lakeside mansion.  Their modern four-stroke outboard crapped out and would not start, probably due to too much ethanol gas and lack of maintenance.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread. I run a striker 4 and it really opened up alot of opportunity for vertical jigging lake trout on the fingerlakes. I normally pull copper or downriggers, but it's pretty cool being able to watch my jig fall and the Lakers coming up from the bottom to intercept it.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk