Aging

Paula

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 10:24 AM, Paula said:

Have any of you tried aging vacuum pack venison?

I thought I would try it and have a roast in fridge, it's been 10 days so far. I am starting to rethink this so....

I have no idea if that works after freezing. I do know it is a viable option as soon as it's sealed. Not sure what happens tot he enzymes and such in the meat. I imagine it could work because the meat will actually rot. (which, let's all be honest, aging is the initial stage of rotting)

• Like 1

My buddy killed a 8.5 year old moose about 5 years ago, and the roasts that were in the freezer were very tough.  The "ancient" animal was butchered and froze without aging, up in Newfoundland where he shot it.  After that good jaw workout on the first roast, he took the remaining hundreds of pounds of the meat out of the freezer and let it thaw.  He canned it all using a pressure cooker.   That turned out to be some of the most tender and tasty wild game meat that I have ever had.   It took a few years to finish it all off and the last jar was as good as the first.  

Any red-meated animal should be aged if you want it to be tender.   Most folks skip that step on wild game, believing for some reason, that it is not subjected to rigor mortis.   The canning process is the only way that I know to avoid it, and still get some tender meat.