Ammo question?

You won't know until you try shooting it. In most cases the difference isn't enough to miss a deer, but it could be up to a couple inches off in any direction. Just because it's a heavier bullet, don't mean it will drop more either. Shape of the bullet also has a lot to do with point of impact. Each gun and load shoot differently.

Edited by steve863

What Steve said....The only way to know is to shoot it.

However,at woods ranges, I suspect the difference would not be enough to worry about.

If you anticipate shots over 100 yards, there could be enough difference to cause a bad hit.

If you have the opportunity to shoot the rifle, by all means do it..Otherwise, just hunt with your proven load. Unless you have a pocket full of tags, it seems like six bullets would be enough.. Hunt with them and carry a couple of the others in your pocket for finishers..

Thanks guys. 6 shots should be enough to fill 2 tags if needed. The deer trail that I watch is about 70 yards. I am going to take the other ones along just in case and if all works out I will buy some more 140's after season.

Pygmy by the way I will becoming close to your location on Friday. We travel west on 417 through Addison.

As I was packing lastnight I realized that I only have 6 rounds of my 140 grain ammo left. I have only shot 140 grain out of my .280 since I owned it. I have some 150 grain rounds. So my question is how much will my round drop being an extra 10 grains?

Well a few things.

1) Do you think you will need more than 6 rounds? I don't think I ever fired 6 rounds in a season.

2) A 10 grain difference isn't going to make much difference until you get out to some serious yardage. Especially with a .280.

I am going to take the other ones along just in case

You should. It is hunting and you never know. I have been on some tracking trips following a wounded deer and 6 woulnd't have gotten the job done. would hate to come of a trail to have to run to the car to get more ammo. . I wuold throwthe other box in your pack as a "just in case"

You should. It is hunting and you never know. I have been on some tracking trips following a wounded deer and 6 woulnd't have gotten the job done. would hate to come of a trail to have to run to the car to get more ammo. . I wuold throwthe other box in your pack as a "just in case"

No kidding! I have heard gun hunters go out with only the 4 or 5 rounds that go into their guns and NO extras. I guess that mentality comes from bowhunting where you take only a few arrows. Believe me, if you gun hunt long enough their will be a time when you'll need more than 6!

Here is where I get made fun of...lol. My 700 bdl holds 5----buttstock shel holder has 9 and there is always a full box in my pack. that is 34. come on!!! you never know when WW III might break out when you are deep in the woods and you only have what you are carrying. Seriously though I got caught out on a track of a buddys wounded buck with my shotgun and ran out of ammo. Had 15 with me. It was a 1/2 hour walk to the truck for more. For some reason deer never run closer to the vehicle I swore I would never get caught like that again.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Seriously though I got caught out on a track of a buddys wounded buck with my shotgun and ran out of ammo. Had 15 with me. It was a 1/2 hour walk to the truck for more.

Since you were helping your buddy, I would have made him walk back to the truck while you waited at the last spot. LOL Alright Culver you talked me into taking more with me. (Do you know something about WW III) lol maybe i will bring all ammo that I have.

Yeah it is a great gun. The ammo is a little more expensive since it is not a "common" round. Looking into reloading within the next 5 years.

Culver I think that you need to add Energy Bars to your menu. Seems like most guys take energy bars to the woods with them, after reading the one topic on eating in the woods.

Phade so you use to take 3-5 shells with you or you still take that many out on occasion? The only time I ever exchanged ammo while hunting was about 4 years ago. Dad and I were rabbit hunting and we were down to our last rabbit. Make a long story short my dad and I were throwing ammo back and forth til we got the last rabbit.

I carry enough to fill the gun and then an extra box (2 for shotgun) because Id rather have enough to be able to blast a yote or two if need be, plus not worry about not having enough to be able to put 1 shot and a finishing shot for each tag in my pocket. If I had the opportunity to tag out in a day, Id take it.

And I dont mix ammo. I hunted with a guy last year that just had a pocket full of random slugs and wondered why he unloaded the gun twice on deer and never hit anything. Needless to say, I wont be hunting with him again.

And I dont mix ammo. I hunted with a guy last year that just had a pocket full of random slugs and wondered why he unloaded the gun twice on deer and never hit anything. Needless to say, I wont be hunting with him again.

what a fool. Does he even know that you can only shoot deer with a slug? Edited by SteveNY

??

Maybe you are'nt aware either. You can only use slugs when hunting big game in NY. Buckshot is illegal.

Page 24.

"Implement Descriptions For Big Game Hunting

The following describes implement requirements for Big Game Hunting. See map

above to determine where each can be used.

Bow— Long (stick), recurve or compound bow with a draw weight greater than 35 lbs. A

legal arrowhead is nonbarbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7⁄8 inches wide.

Crossbow—consists of a bow, a string, and either compound or recurve limbs

with minimum width of 17 inches (tip of limbs, uncocked), mounted on a stock. The

stock shall have a trigger with a working safety that holds the string and limbs under

tension until released. It shall have a minimum overall length from the butt of the

stock to the front of the limbs of 24 inches and be able to launch a minimum 14 inch

arrow/bolt, not including the legal arrowhead. It shall have a draw weight of 100 to

200 pounds.

Muzzleloader—Firearm loaded through the muzzle, a minimum bore of .44 inches

and shooting a single projectile. Scopes or fiber-optic sights may be used at any time.

Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during

the special muzzleloading season. If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol,

you must have a New York State pistol permit.

Handgun—Any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length may not exceed 16

inches. Note: Nonresidents may not use handguns to hunt in New York.

Shotgun—Must be 20 gauge or larger and fire a single projectile. Rifling in the

barrel or choke is allowed.

Rifle—Any centerfire rifle."

Edited by SteveNY