So, the neighbor shot across the property line.

sampotter

if it happens to you, you will have an entirely different perspective. Yesterday morning I watched an awesome buck on the neighbor property in an open corn field. He got within 100 yards of me and walked into the thick brush. So I guess it would have been ok to fling lead at him over there? My stand is on the line and faces my property. I did not shoot because it was not my land. I expect the same from the guy next door shooting on my land. And even oif the deer was on my side, I have no legal right to retrieve it from the neighbors properrty without permission(which I have). Did you guys miss the part where he said the guy basically threeatened him saying he could mistake him for a deer. To me that is a serious threat. You may want to run with your tail between your legs, but not me. Wanna shoot deer on my side, pay my taxes like I do. And I am far from the city.

if it happens to you, you will have an entirely different perspective. Yesterday morning I watched an awesome buck on the neighbor property in an open corn field. He got within 100 yards of me and walked into the thick brush. So I guess it would have been ok to fling lead at him over there? My stand is on the line and faces my property. I did not shoot because it was not my land. I expect the same from the guy next door shooting on my land. And even oif the deer was on my side, I have no legal right to retrieve it from the neighbors properrty without permission(which I have). Did you guys miss the part where he said the guy basically threeatened him saying he could mistake him for a deer. To me that is a serious threat. You may want to run with your tail between your legs, but not me. Wanna shoot deer on my side, pay my taxes like I do. And I am far from the city.

Bubba, what's far from the city have to do with it? Where I hunt you can't see 100 yards into the property around us, heck I can't even see 100 yards any where on our 250 acres. Maybe you have those problems where there are big open spaces and hay and corn fields where when cut you can see deer from a far distance. Off the property lines and even from the road. My shooting range in my neck of the woods is mostly less than 100 yards more like 60-70 yards. But we do have tree stands not far from our property line, but never had any problems.

I tend to think some people (generally from the city) treat their land like a dog would. They bark at everyone who walks by. Quoting the law doesn't change that. Hey, it is your property and if you want guard it like Fort Knox from your NEIGHBORS, that is your prerogative. We are not talking about huge hunting parties crossing lines, we are talking about one man sitting in a stand on his own property, see's a deer a few feet into the adjacent property and harvests it. Not quite the crime of the century in my book, but to each his own. I think the post by G-Man sums it up. Now you have created bad blood, harassed another persons wife, got the landowner involved in a neighborly dispute and for what? A few pounds of meat, antlers, 20 yards and property line... The amount of time you spent on principle would have probably been better applied in the field hunting IMO..

this is where the city came from

Deer are migratory, you don't pay property taxes on YOUR deer. It isn't like he logged the property or something.

We are not talking a hundred yards are we? We are talking 60 feet. If you are going to make this big of a deal about 60 feet, then I am really glad you are not my neighbor. Just hope when the day comes that you need to access a neighbors property, they don't make a capital case out of it.

will you explain to me when you guys are going to realize that this little street your on goes both ways....

why in blue blazes do you ppl put all the responsibility of being a descent good neighbor/hunter/ human on the guys that doesn't shoot across property lines...doesn't trespass....The guy that doesn't infringe on the other guys space....because from the sounds of what this guys has said in the past he would have been much worse and uncivil had the tables turned.

What is so damn hard about just letting a deer walk and waiting for it to get on your land? I can say I've had huge deer walk by and live another day because they chose not to cross over on to us...and if you can't do that then don't bother hunting that area...as many suggested to the guy who wasn't in the wrong

If the both of you are going to be hunting that close to each others property lines there is bound to be a conflict sooner or later. You guys should talk and make the rules before the season to avoid conflict. We heard your side of the story but maybe you left out something that you might have said to to get the response you got about mistaking you for a deer. He may have just been making a joke. Hunting season comes and goes so fast lets enjoy the experience not remember the conflict.

I actually think a bigger deal was made by all who participated on this thread than what actually went down.

And no- I had never seen, met, or spoken to the guy before he offered to shoot me 3 years ago. All I said back was Gee thanks. There are a lot of blue-blooded jackasses out there and some of them happen to hunt...