Black Bear outfitter in NY

ryanrobb52

After being a die hard deer hunter since the age of 16, I have recently decided to pursue a Black Bear in the great old state of NY. I realize that trying to get one this year is probably out of the question but I would be interested in any recomendations for a licensed guide in NY that would be able to help me out with my quest for a Black Bear. I have my own hunting property in 6g and another piece in 6A but unfortunatley that isnt Bear country. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard some bad reports on guides who take big money and give you a boat ride and a camping trip for your money. If you want to go on your own like in Moose River Rec Area fine cause you won't be out a thosand but if you are going to pay I would suggest finding a good guide in Maine or Canada. Even then check references. I went on a bear hunt in Shining Tree Ontario and the guide was rather relaxed about helping his hunters. Two guys shot a 150# and a 200# so he acted like the rest of us were at fault for not taking bears. There was about ten other hunters. BTW I gave you the Town cause he's changed the name at least once. It might be late for an ADK hunt maybe try SZ. Check the DEC web site for top producing counties near you. Plan on using food scent attractants but check the regs, I think you can only use 1.5 ounces per sitting. I think you can take more but only 1.5 each trip into the bush. But please double check with DEC. Good Luck.

I have wanted to shoot a black bear for a long time now. I went on a guided trip last year. I got a boat trip and a bad camping trip out of it. Myself and six other guys that i had never met before, not one of use even got a look at a bear. It was also bow season for deer and everyone had brought a bow incase we got a bear we could hunt deer. That was pointless no one even saw a deer. The guide basicly dropped us off in the woods and told us to follow a ribbon line to a tree stand. I don't think I'll ever pay for another guided hunt unless I know someone that has hunted with the guide and recomends them.

In typical forested areas like NY, there are two effective ways to hunt bears. One is baiting..The other is to run them with hounds. Unfortuantely, both methods are illegal in NY.

Most bears are shot here as targets of opportunity by deer hunters.

If you really want a bear, research some outfitters in places like Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, or Maine, where baiting or hounding is allowed.

Successful bear hunting in NY requires more than a good dose of LUCK...

• Like 1

Dave, I think the law is one and a half ounces of scent. I assume that means each set. But by all means check the DEC site to be sure. Of course in Maine you are allowed to bait even if you're self guided. I think we need a "Hunting NY.com" bear hunt to Maine. Maybe we can get a group rate.

• Like 1

I did a Quebec late spring bear hunt over baited stands 2 out of 4 guys got bear 1 guy saw 2 but had no shots & I, myself did not see a bear. I found it boring, I have friends who have done a Maine hunt with dogs & say it's a lot of fun just see & hearing the dogs work. the other plus is you don't have to screw around with the firearm regs. taking them into canada. j m 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Driftwood lodge in Shin Pond Maine for 3 years in a row. Back when it was owned by Harold Schmidt. He died, but it's owned now by Paul Reed, I think. It's a good operation. The 3 yrs I hunted there, I killed 2 bears, and missed one.

Skillet, what does a bear hunt cost? How big were the bears?

Dave, when I went, it was 99', 00', & 01'. I actually worked for the guy on my summers from school. In return for my help baiting and prepping the camp, I hunted for free. I believe he charged $900.00. I'm sure it's more now. My bears were 175# & 220#, not giants, but nice bears.

Dave, I went to their site for you. It's down while they update it. The number there is 207-528-2936 or try 207-353-7004. It's a great place, and unless they've changed it too much, a great hunt.

Skillet thanks for all the information.

Check out Bearpaw outfitters in New Brunswick. I went there with 4 people we all got bears. There was 4 others in camp who also got bears. I saw 4 before I decided to shoot mine. One guy saw 7 in one night. The food is great he brought lobster in on Wed. for everyone. I believe the hunt was 1200 back in 2004. You can't beat his knowledge of the area and the effort he puts into getting everyone a Bear.

• 4 months later...

Hunt 3A in the Catskill Mountains where I live. There are more bear than deer.

While that is indeed tempting, in checking the bear season dates I'm heavy into Deer hunting by then (6k, 7j,m,r depending on tags). Seem as I've always hunted on the outskirts of where the Bears are. Found Bear crap in 7r spot the other year, was either that or some 300lb tresspasser had chilli.

Edited by Fantail