a change for Oneida ??

Robhuntandfish

not sure if i like it or not. But looks like a very possible change from 3 walleye to 5 for a limit.  I have the luxury of being right on the lake and being able to go often so i like the 3 fish limit and because the lake is so stacked it seems to have worked and hate to see it change.  But will see if they change it for next season.  https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2020/08/oneida-lake-walleye-possession-limit-should-be-changed-to-5-per-day-dec-angler-survey.html?fbclid=IwAR29G4UwDG_eFqbHJ1peMWBfxTqrVArmuz0wVyrqwmhat5zWQW0vlIiGK7o

Maybe they are after more tourist dollars.  A 5 fish limit is a sign of a better fishery and will draw folks in from a greater distance. Many won't drive more than an hour, to keep just 3 fish.

If the numbers drop too much, they can always readjust.  

A lot are saying that they can change it back if they need to but often by then it is too late.  

I am torn as a five fish limit is a great day and cert could've done that a few times this year, but hope it stays the fishery it is now cause it's better than ever. 

The bass population is certainly down and panfish seem about the same. 

I don’t understand why they do these surveys.    The limit should be based on the biology of the lake.  If the walleye are overpopulated and are hurting the perch or bass fishery, then, yes adjust it.  But if it is just because an angler survey says to do it, then it makes no sense to me.  

I don’t fish Oneida as often as I would like to, but for me, a 3 fish limit is just fine.  There are plenty of other fish to take if you need more for your dinner or freezer.  Or put in a slot limit of keepers between 15 and 20, the rest are released.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto said:

I don’t understand why they do these surveys.    The limit should be based on the biology of the lake.  If the walleye are overpopulated and are hurting the perch or bass fishery, then, yes adjust it.  But if it is just because an angler survey says to do it, then it makes no sense to me.  

I don’t fish Oneida as often as I would like to, but for me, a 3 fish limit is just fine.  There are plenty of other fish to take if you need more for your dinner or freezer.  Or put in a slot limit of keepers between 15 and 20, the rest are released.  

Science over opinion.....that makes way too much common sense and doesn't fit into 2020 thinking at all.  Lol. 

Great point!  Cornell does a lot of studies on the lake so use the data.  

Either way I guess it's a good problem to have at least for now. It will be interesting to see if it changes in the spring. 

Ive said at least wait a few years before changing it make sure that it will stay at high populations and its just not a momentary spike in the population, I recall when they made the legal size to 12in many years ago to reduce the population  and that was a flop because the populations didnt hold  and in a few years they said it was to low

• Like 1