Long Island Shotgun Deer Lottery

RichZ7

Got my lottery # from DEC today. #673......not the greatest but I've had worse. One year I had over 1200 and still got a day to hunt. The way my bow season is going I may have to depend on the January season to fill a tag otherwise it may be tag soup this year. How did everyone else make out with their numbers?

#1628!! Haha. So much for that. The whole process makes you not want to even bother. Putting all my efforts in to getting a buck down this weekend. Probably hunted over 30 sits this season. All I have to show for it is one Doe in the freezer. And she is almost all gone!

Wow first time im ever hearing you can hunt shotgun in long island. How do you apply? Where to hunt state land?

You had to have sent in the info already. But if you are still interested in Shotgun Hunting you can sign up for any unfilled Hunting spots at the Ridge check station Randal Road, Ridge, NY between December 26 and December 30 from 10am-2pm. It is for state land at Rocky Point, Otis Pike, Westhampton, Sarnoff preserve, West Tiana, Barcelona Neck, Noyak Preserve and East Hampton co-ops.

No fee. You just need your big game license of course to hunt. You can only reserve one spot for one day but they have stand by as well where you go out and if any spots are unclaimed that day you can hunt. You can have 1 person hunting with you at your spot. Definitely a nice way to end the season especially if you had a rough Bow year.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my spot for Rocky Point today. Been hunting for decades upstate but never tried LI even though I live in Nassau county. I was number 912 and got a Friday on the second week. Am really looking forward to it.

One question though. Someone said you can shoot either a buck or doe with your big game tag. They said you don't need a doe tag, that you can shoot either. Is this correct? I don't see anything on the DEC website.

Me and my buddies took spots 1,2,3 on Jan. 17th in Barcelona Neck. Been a long time since I've been out there but the last time I bowhunted there I saw 4 massive does just past legal shooting time as I climbed down. Figured we would give it a whirl. Has anyone hunted there lately???? Good luck to all