Is ML season long enough?

13BVET

I am a bit concerned that if we keep pushing the various deer seasons (no matter what weapon is being used) deeper and deeper into the winter, there may be an awful lot of bucks shot for does simply because you are starting to get into the antler-drop timeframe.

Very good point. Sure, all of us that love to hunt would like to have the season longer to prolong the enjoyment we get from hunting.. but from a conservation and management point of view.. a longer deer hunting season probably is not be a good idea...

Just to play devil's advocate, I would think that the January firearms season in LI would be questionable, if antler dropping was an issue.

I think the january hunt on LI is directly related to the limited habitat and keeping the population to a managable level... I don't think they care about what sex is being taken just that more deer are being taken. They are managing deer on LI not for balance, or even for hunting for that matter... just sheer population control.

How about this for thought? Have 2 weeks of bow then 1 week of mzloader and then 2 weeks of gun. This would sell alot more tags for mzloader. I feel the way the season is now it is way to long and unbalanced. If this was a normal winter late season would add alot of pressure on an already stressed herd. This is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about this for thought? Have 2 weeks of bow then 1 week of mzloader and then 2 weeks of gun. This would sell alot more tags for mzloader. I feel the way the season is now it is way to long and unbalanced. If this was a normal winter late season would add alot of pressure on an already stressed herd. This is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think youd see alot of guys quit if you whittled the whole season to just 5 weeks.

DEC is expanding the overall season by 2+ weeks. Seems they dont share your opinion. ;)

LOL...about 8 total weeks of bow in NY, around 8 weeks total for shotgun, rifle or pistol or crossbow, little over 2 weeks of muzzloader only total. But if you add on the gun seasons to muzzleloader.. you can hunt about 2 1/2 months with your muzzleloader if you choose... how much more do you fellas need??... You're killin' me here.. :lol: