great season, for some, now my real hunt begins... join me ?

TreeGuy

Well, as I told the girlfriend, she can now have her boyfriend back. I personally had a great season. Even though I saw 1/2 the normal amount of deer I blame that directly on the weather, which I think we can al agree on. Between my father and i we tied our record of 7 and just couldn't make anything happen the last few days. But, we both got wall hangers and I'm ok with that !

NOW, I have a serious coyote problem which i intend to solve. My only thing is I only know what I've read and seen on t.v., which isn't a lot when it comes to hunting smart predators.

They have taken down a half dozen deer over the last year and i want that to stop. I know for a fact that 3 mature and 1 smaller coyote cruise the property everyday / night. If anyone that is knowledgeable and has the right equipment wants to come and show me how to put one down, come out to Boston and join me ! I'll buy the beer or coffee ! If not, I'll be relying on more traditional, redneck ways which haven't really produced any fur.

I'm serious though, if u think u know your stuff, there's about 250 acres available to kill yotes. Send me message or reply on here !

The only way you are going to make a dent isnt by calling them, but by hunting them with dogs and trapping them. They get wise to calls pretty quickly, and become next to impossible to call in with alot of hunter pressure.

+1

or set a bait pile and be far enough for them not to smell you, play the wind and take long shots, you should be all set on these 250 acres. Oh, and post the pics after you got them! Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Find some good dogs. I call a few in each year but my two Running Walkers always find em. My buddies have dogs too and we run em all winter (after deer season). Most productive way for sure! Bait piles, we use road kill deer, work pretty good too. Snow helps alot. However you do it, just do it!!

Dogs do work, but the problem with dogs is yots can travel some good distance, and most likly you will be getting on other peoples property. There are quite a few people out there that won't appriciate that.

Because there is a seson on them I would check to see if bait piles "baiting" is legal or not. I know there only coyotes but I would still want to follow the law.

Edited by scobar

You're allowed to bait coyotes in NYS. And yes, the dogs do run far. We chased one last year 12 miles lol...Probly only 4 miles as the crow flies tho. The secret is to shot the coyote within the first mile or two lol..The good new is most people have no problem with people shooting coyotes. We've come across ENCON, cops, and private hunting clubs and never had a problem with the landowners. The private hunting clubs only asked us not to drop the dogs on their property, but if the coyote goes there shoot em...

Well my jack russels aren't much of coyote hunters, and if they did get on a yote I'd never be able to keep up...

So far I have gone out with every fresh snow fall, oddly enough they must know I'm after them cause I haven't seen any fresh tracks ! I'm far from giving up though. Might head to franklinville this weekend with a borrowed fox pro.

• 2 weeks later...