hi all

allblue bandit

Yes, welcome. We run black and tans back in the 70's. Had one dog that would run quit until she tree. Best dog ever, and always come home with coon. Other dogs, had to leave the hunting coat, but never for her. We spent many a night in the woods. Those were the days.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Welcome to the forum, allblue.. I have a soft spot in my heart for blueticks. My Dad was a coon hunter and his alltime best hound was a bluetick..

Elmo...Without hounds/dogs, coon hunting is pretty much a hit and miss situation.

I have spent many, many hours in the woods at dawn and dusk, between hunting turkeys, deer , small game and waterfowl and while it is not unusual to see an occasional coon, it would be difficult to be consistently successful without some canine assistance.

There are coon calls on the market, and now and then I have read about hunters calling them, but I personally don't know anyone who has ever killed many coons on a consistent basis without using hounds or steel traps..

the first thing is get yourself a well bred pup what ever breed u like.next is spend time an more time let it run loose before u even think about taking it hunten .make its lease broke dog box broke an will come when u call if u master that u have half the battle one. like i tell everyone what u put in a pup is what u get out of it.when time is ready take to woods u dont need older dog for help .play with it with a coonhide there is plenty of them onthe side of the road. then game on head to woods.