WNYBuckHunter's Outdoor Journal

This is an awesome thread! Love the pic's and stories. Do you have to gently nudge your daughter when she starts to snore? My grandson Zach, is quite the snorer, and gets me laughing sometimes! Good luck out there and keep having fun, spending quality time with your young hunter! 

This is an awesome thread! Love the pic's and stories. Do you have to gently nudge your daughter when she starts to snore? My grandson Zach, is quite the snorer, and gets me laughing sometimes! Good luck out there and keep having fun, spending quality time with your young hunter! 

Yeah I try to wake her up as gently as I can lol. Dont need her jumping up or falling out of the seat. Thanks!

• Like 1

This past Saturday I got out in the stand for the afternoon, and ended up seeing quite a few deer, including a 6 point that I grunted in, and he walked right through my shooting lane at 30 yards. He was out cruising for does. Right at last light, I got trapped in my stand because 2 young bucks came busting out into the field and ran a few does around in circles right by my stand. Sunday was uneventful with all of the wind, didnt see a single deer. We decided to get a couple of stands moved in the early afternoon, and scouted a new property we just got permission for. One thing we noticed while scouting is that the scrapes have all seemed to have died down a bit the last few days, as they were all littered with leaves.

I checked one of my trail cameras yesterday and it looks like we have a couple of new bucks in the area. Some good fight sequences too.

Little 6

42C1D429-539D-4A67-99FD-2A11D5170854_zps

DeerAg Double Beam brassicas

EF1CFF5E-0619-4316-96CD-584CBB5C70E3_zps

8CDD70AE-D577-4315-B50F-F624FF603F83_zps

85F29E4C-AF55-40E3-BBFD-33B0C26DAC3F_zps

D717B59B-9CFD-409E-ABE1-D028C88C7AD6_zps

7800C7F6-2DBE-4277-BA2C-664AB7A43A89_zps

• Like 2

Sitting here at work chomping at the bit. I have a 3 day weekend ahead and no kids, plus my sons hockey practice got cancelled. Weather is shaping up to be pretty darn good. Monday is looking a tad warm, but as long as the rain holds off during the day it will be good. A buddy texted last night with pics of a bloody arrow. Hoping to hear some good news this morning from him.

post-8-0-29003900-1446814010_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Weekend recap

Saturday morning I headed to one of my stands in the swamp. Had 2 does bust out of the brush about 100 yards away at first light. No action after that. I hopped over to another stand, where I saw 3 does, all out of range at about 60. Ended up getting down and doing some scouting during mid day, and found a fresh scrape line in an area I hadnt sat in yet this year. Got up in a stand and thats where I was for the rest of the day. Ended up seeing 3 young bucks, one was a 2 year old 7 point that I have tons of cam pics of, the other two were a spike and a 4 point.

Sunday I overslept a bit, so got down to the farm a bit late. Sat at one of the stands that overlooks 2 of our brassica plots. About 1/2 hour in, the wind shifted, and deer started coming out, and I got busted twice. I hopped down and moved to a stand at the opposite end of the plots. Ended up seeing 17 does total, none in range. My buddy picked me up and we headed to a new property to do a bit of pre gun season scouting. This property has not had any hunting allowed in over 10 years, and he and I were asked to knock some deer out of there, as the farmer had his whole 20+ acres of beans wiped out this year. Total loss for him. We drove over there and deer were in the one field, and allowed us to 20 yards away before they bolted. We will hang a couple of stands there for rifle overlooking both fields. Should be a turkey shoot. After that we headed up to the one farm and setup a second ground blind for me to take my son this year. He is super excited to go. Once that was all done, I hopped into my evening stand, and saw a ton of activity. Ended up having a nice doe headed to my shooting lane, only to have it spooked out by a yote that showed up. No shot at the yote either.

Monday morning I got to the farm nice and early. It was a gorgeous, crisp, cold morning. I sat in a stand overlooking a plot. All morning I heard a ton of grunting, ended up seeing 4 shooter bucks and 5 or 6 smaller ones, 7 to 10 different does, could have shot one or two, but there was always a big buck present so I wasnt going to take those shots. The only deer that ended up in range when the big boys were gone, were a couple of button bucks. It was an awesome morning, most of the activity was between 8:30 and 10:30. For the evening, I sat in a stand my buddy and I setup a couple of weeks ago. Saw one small 4 point, and had him at 15 yards. It was a great day overall.

Saturday sunset in the swamp

D95D6C00-A5C6-4428-9D23-D515AEA2AB70_zps

Spike on Saturday

E6A63FBA-49B2-4E9C-9B67-3F49EBDCFEC1_zps

Frozen brassicas Sunday

8375971D-F69A-4742-BC97-6B55721F7B03_zps

Does in the plot Sunday

A64B6118-FA2F-4E18-907A-03C1F3732FEA_zps

Plots

099F9D9E-E90B-4855-98CD-06B2D261826C_zps

• Like 2

Well, it looks like bow season is a wrap for me this year. I doubt Im going to be able to get out this weekend. The sitter for my son bailed on me today, and tomorrow I really need to take my rifles over to my dads place and sight them in. Maybe Ill get a sit in tomorow morning, but if not, its ok. It was a fun season even though I didnt connect on a deer this year. On to gun season.

• Like 1

Took my 308 out yesterday and got it checked. Heres my 3 shot group from 100 yards. I was sitting on the ground using my bipod. The third shot thats a little high and right was my fault, as I pulled it to the right a bit. Id say shes shooting great as ever, and I love how well these Federal Fusion 150s group.

6E70EA6F-ECA7-4C54-9374-952AAF086AA9_zps

I also checked my 30-30, which was shooting a bit high at first, but I got it sighted back in. I will be using that rifle for any drives I do with the guys this year. Iron sights and Remington Core-Lokt 150s for that one.

5 days and counting....

getting the same ragged hole accuracy with my Browning 30-06 shooting the 150gr Fusions.  Pretty happy.  years back I went back and bought a bunch of boxes.  Good for quite a while I'd imagine.  Busy doing other stuff this weekend getting things ready for winter season.  I've got to get out this week and check my gun.  I plan on hunting a lot with my bow still but need it on stand by.

• Like 1

Opening day started out with my son and I getting up before the alarm went off because we were both so excited. I got everything ready to go and loaded up the truck while he helped out. We got down to the farm, and headed to the ground blind that over looks one of our food plots. When we get there, it dawned on me that I forgot our chairs. Not a huge deal, we sat on the ground inside the blind and made the best of it. We sat and watched the woods wake up. My son was having a great time listening to the owls hoot and wondering what made this noise and that. Before the sun came up, we saw a couple of deer cross the plot, about 100 yards out. He was excited to see some deer so quickly. Things slowed down for a bit, but right before 8 I saw movement in the brush past the other end of the plot and told my son to get ready. Does started pouring out into the plot, ending up with 9 or 10 standing out there, about 130 yards out. I turned up the power on my scope and watched the biggest doe mill around, waiting for a broadside shot, which she quickly gave me. I took the shot and hit her a few inches further back than I usually like to, but I knew it was a solid double lung hit. She took off on a dead sprint for the thicket to the North. I racked the bolt and scanned the rest of the deer. Most ran off and didnt offer a parting pose, except two, so I found the one that I knew wasnt a button buck and hit her right in the high shoulder, dropping her in her tracks. I looked over and the smile on my sons face, and light in his eyes was picture perfect. I put the safety on my rifle and sat it down and my son jumped into my arms with excitement saying "We did it Daddy, we did it!" After a few minutes, I gathered up my rifle and we headed over to check things out. The second doe was down, a young doe. My son checked her out as I started looking for the blood trail from the first doe. I found blood and asked him to come over and help me. I showed him the blood and what to look for and asked him to see if he could follow the trail. A couple of times he needed a bit of help to pick up the next spot of blood, but 150 yards later he exclaimed "There it is!" and pointed in some thick brush to the doe piled up. I was so happy that he picked up tracking that well. We headed back to the truck and hopped into the ATV, took it down and grabbed our gear out of the blind, and picked up the first deer and took it up to where the other one was and began to gut them. He helped out and thought it was the coolest thing he had seen. While I was in the middle of it, I heard running behind me and looked around to see a big deers behind disappear behind some brush. A few seconds later we heard a gunshot. About 10 minutes later, one of the other guys that hunts there walked up and said his brother shot a doe and they were dragging it to their truck. I offered to finish up my deer and pick theirs up with my ATV, so we did that. He told me another couple of guys had a nice buck down, so we went to check that out. As it turned out, the deer that went by Evan and I as I was gutting, was a 4 year old buck that Ive been watching for a couple of years. I had been calling him Hooks. He had run right to the guys, so I told them Id haul him out if they wanted, so we loaded him into the ATV. Ater I got all of the deer back to the trucks, I called my buddy and we headed over to where they were getting ready to do a few small drives.

After the first drive, we ended up running into a father and son that had a slammer buck on the ground and they asked if we would be able to help them, since we had ATVs. We said sure, so my buddy took his wheeler back and came back after 10 or so minutes with the buck strapped to the back. Man, what a buck this kid had shot! We stood around and congratulated him and listened to his story. Turned out that morning he had gone to his primary stand, only to find that some douche bag had stolen his ladder steps for it. He then went to his backup stand and got in. Right around 8, the buck came up behind him and he put him down at about 80 yards. Talk about a blessing in disguise! Now, we have permission to hunt this place, but we dont because there are alot of issues with stolen stands, etc there. While we were congratulating the kid, one of the guys that has permission to hunt there showed up, and ranted and raved about how upset he was that someone else had killed "his" buck he had been after all season. During all of the cursing the rest of us just stood there in disbelief that this guy would act like such a classless jerk in front of the kid that had just taken the biggest buck he had ever seen. Im pretty sure we figured out who was behind the missing stands and whatnot at this farm.

We did a couple more drives, and took a few does in the process. My son had a ball and we decided he was tuckered out a bit and ready to go sit for the afternoon. We grabbed some chairs from my buddys place and headed to the blind again. We ended up having a bunch of different foxes come through, as well as 2 does that hung out for an hour or so. I decided not to shoot, as I have plenty of cutting to do before I drop any more does. My son fell asleep in the blind, and I woke him up to leave at sunset, so there was plenty of light for the walk out. When I got to the truck and loaded everything up, my son came over and hugged my leg and said "Daddy, I wont ever forget this day! It was the best day ever.", which put a huge smile on my face. We got home and changed and hung the deer in the garage. Then we headed to a friends camp for dinner. By the time we left, my son was totally wiped out, and fell asleep before we got out of the driveway. It was, without a doubt, the best opening day of gun season I have ever had. Plenty of memories that will last a lifetime.

Pics below...

In our blind, ready for it to get light out

DA76D76B-203E-45DA-87F7-3281CFB746FF_zps

First doe we walked up on

AF4394C2-AD24-4EAB-978B-B75F6B4C7D7E_zps

On the trail

F090F2D4-E32A-4A7C-9820-5BC0F8586502_zps

Found her!

6ACEE49F-11F5-44ED-9B75-11E3985B057E_zps

0AC21D06-8731-4726-B469-BD2BF256DF30_zps

• Like 12