Opening Day

ny hunter

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Opening morning (used to be Tuesday) and thanksgiving....traffic on the throughway and 81 like it was rush hour, with every vehicle full of red /orange hats. The old drives did move alot of deer...if you sat still, chances are you would still see  something getting moved around. A few locations we went to it seemed as though there was a hunter behind every tree. Down on Connecticut Hill, the barrages would start way before first light! That was scary! 

My first opening day in 1981, I was 16 and was totally amazed at the traffic. Bumper to bumper down rte. 12.  It was an image I will never forget.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I have only hunted for 20 years as I was a late starter. Never witnessed the excitement of a drive that you guys speak about, where deer run all day. 

Ill give you the heads up first weekend after Thanksgiving and couple times through the late focus season we drive the land. Its fun way to fill the freezer.

• Like 1

I use to joke about going around various woods at 7am selling shotgun slugs after so many hunters had emptied their guns and extra slugs and were out of ammo . Could have made a lot of money . Not an awful amount of shooting yesterday morning . And the 1st shots were a couple minutes to 7am and were distant .