Going soft hearted

Skillet

Thanks Law. Merry Christmas to you too.
Looking at a nice Sony. Can get a great zoom lens for not too much extra. 
The new mirrorless csmeras look really appealing, they aren't cheap though! My camera is pretty good for what it is but it's quite bulky with my 500mm lens. I'd love to take it with me every hunt but 99% of the time I don't want to lug it around and risk banging it up. One thing with nature photography, you can seemingly never have enough zoom!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, left field said:

Years ago I took an intact puppy to a vet who asked if I was going to neuter him. I asked why would I do that and she replied, "well, he'll never get testicular cancer." To which I asked if we should pull all his teeth as well to stave off tooth decay.

I'm in a slightly different situation but I appreciate the OP's position. I have yet to kill a deer and really thought that this was the year as I am at my cabin and have been out a dozen times over bow and rifle, but either it's no deer or the wrong deer (tag wise). There are four does that hang out at my backyard. In fact, today they were bedded down 30' from my back door. ML season comes in a few days and I can legally take one of those deer, but I won't. At least not from my back porch. It just doesn't seem to be what I signed up for.

Now I appreciate that there's a small distinction between the same deer in my backyard versus 300' into my woods, but it nevertheless seems to be a distinction I could probably live with.

I'm also pretty old and with that comes a real sense and understanding of mortality, both mine and others.

I often leave the house to go hunting while there is a doe or 2 in the yard eating apples under the apple trees or munching in my yard. I have been tempted but can't seem to shoot any of them there.

Its foolish because I have shot them a couple hundred yds behind the house and that was different.I was hunting..lol

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I often leave the house to go hunting while there is a doe or 2 in the yard eating apples under the apple trees or munching in my yard. I have been tempted but can't seem to shoot any of them there.

Its foolish because I have shot them a couple hundred yds behind the house and that was different.I was hunting..lol

I'm the same way lol. The deer in the yard is a safe zone. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fletch said:

I'm the same way lol. The deer in the yard is a safe zone. 

Last year, I finally said to myself.

It's not hunting ,but it is still better than the grocery store so if I dont have any venison late season I may poke one.

I never did do it , but this year has been pretty  lean. We will see what happens if one comes out this last weekend .lol.  

Took 2006 or 7 off after I came back from a month long trip in September and was plain hunted out for the year. Missed 2019 with medical issues on and off again during that fall.

This year I was hiking in Catskills and cut a big track and spent a few hours working it. Bumped a nice buck with a doe and made a 1 mile loop to get the wind right and glassed them again in a bowl in rifle range. No gun and couldn't careless if I shot him. Just having fun.

No remorse issue, just dont have the mojo at the moment. Actually have a cape buffalo hunt planned next fall and super excited for that trip.

Have had as much fun with a camera as rifle, do what makes you happy. 

• Like 4