planting soybeans with tiller

wmg

can I plant RR soybeans in the following manner successfully

1) broadcast seeds/fertilizer  in old hayfield (2.5 ac)

2) set tiller for 2" deep and till field ( i don't have a disc harrow )

3) run cultipacker on field

4) wait 3 weeks and spray herbicide

5) put up fence

new to food plotting so don't know if i am trying to reinvent the wheel

5 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

If one doesnt have a cultipacker,  will four 6x6 beams  lag bolted together  work to press and level it all ? 

Yes they call that a planker,  usually made out of 2x10 overlapped 3in, think a wash board... you can put large spikes thru it as well, and flip from side to side for working ground and smoothing it...  cheap easy tillage equipment.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

that  will work. I would just spray/terminate your crop with GLY, wait a week or 2 till your soil, spread seeds and anything to pack your soil in will work. Or if you have rain coming, just let mother nature take care of the rest for you.

Soybeans are very easy to grow. Then when plants are 6-10" tall.. spray gly one more time if weeds and grasses are coming back .. 

I plant soybeans, by spraying the existing vegetation with GLY, spreading seedat 1.5x the normal rate, then rolling that dead/dying vegetation over top of the seed and it lays over top and dies creating weed barrier, and also protects the soil from the suns hot rays. then the germinated seeds grow up through the dead stuff... Great germination as long as a good rain is coming after planting.