Sporterize or not

sbuff

5 minutes ago, sbuff said:

That was my goal should I go that route 

If you are interested, I think I have a Lyman Foolproff receiver sight for a M98.

Used without the aperture, they are a quick sight system for woods hunting and light years ahead of the rear military sights.

Edited by wildcat junkie

2 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Try to find some Sellier & Bellot 8X57. Cabela's was selling it a few years ago. It has a 196gr bullet @ 2600 fps compared to 170gr @ 2250 of the US spec.

I believe Dinsdale has some he might be willing to barter...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I believe Dinsdale has some he might be willing to barter...

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/sellier-amp-bellot-8mm-mauser-8x57-js-196-grain-spce-20-rounds?a=1583557

• Caliber: 8mm Mauser (8x57 JS)
  • Bullet Weight: 196 grain
  • Bullet Style: Soft Point Cutting Edge (.323 diam.)
  • Muzzle Velocity: 2,592 FPS
  • Muzzle Energy: 2,923 ft.-lbs.
  • Case Type: Brass
  • Primer Type: Boxer, reloadable
  • Corrosive: No

Comparing Euro spec 8X57 to US spec is like comparing 338-06 to 32 Win Special.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

I'm glad to see you went the extra mile to install a 3-position Model 70 type safety. IMO that elevates a Mauser from "sporterized" to "custom" when the rest of the rifle has been well done.

Actually I have done a fair bit not visible: Timney trigger, upgraded firing pin and spring, of course the safety....which requires an alteration to the cocking knob. I also gave it an aftermarket trigger housing /magazine, with a push button floor release (a must for my rifles) as well as some machining for wt, knob checkering etc.

Buff, MOST after market stocks spec. for the 98 you can just drop in, but may need to fit it. Not as many choices as there used to be. Maybe check out Ebay for used 98 sporter stocks....at times I have found alot...that is where i found my Hogue.  If you are used to open sights, the Mausers arent horrible, but sure can be improved. Back in the late seventies and early eighties I had quite a string of different Mauser/variants I played with....93s, 88 Commission, odd 98s....it was alot of fun when you could buy them for only about 49.00 and ammo for five cents a round.

• Like 1

In 1973 I bought an 1895 Chliean Mauser at a shop in Stevens Mills near Hornell for $35...It was in excellent condition..They had racks upon racks of military rifles  for little or nothing...With some help from Dad, who was a machinist,  I sporterized it and it became my first PA deer rifle... Wish I still had it in it's original condition...

I well remember the Syracuse Gun Show well into the early 21st century would have table after table of surpluse rifles....various Mausers, Enfields, Carcanos, Moisin Nagants,  30 Cal. carbines, etc. What a field day I would have had if I could foresee the disapearance of them. Particularly I wish I got a 30 cal. Carbine, really just to play with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I well remember the Syracuse Gun Show well into the early 21st century would have table after table of surpluse rifles....various Mausers, Enfields, Carcanos, Moisin Nagants,  30 Cal. carbines, etc. What a field day I would have had if I could foresee the disapearance of them. Particularly I wish I got a 30 cal. Carbine, really just to play with.

The  .30 cal. carbine  with a 15 or 30 round mag  ( of course, none of US possess those)  isn;t a bad firearm to have standing in a corner in the house just in case you need to shoo the riff-raff  off your lawn....

It is heavy because  there is still a lot of  metal remaining, judging by the steps  not turned off the barrel.... Also, it appears to have the issue safety, which was compensated for that extra high "see thru" scope mount...

Looks like a pretty nice aftermarket stock....What is the chambering  ?

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It is heavy because  there is still a lot of  metal remaining, judging by the steps  not turned off the barrel.... Also, it appears to have the issue safety, which was compensated for that extra high "see thru" scope mount...

Looks like a pretty nice aftermarket stock....What is the chambering  ?

8mm Mauser 

• Like 1

It is a  Mauser 98 for sure.....Good chance it is a K98K  because so many of them were brought back from Europe after WWII..

However, there are many other 98 Mausers out there.. Wildcat Junkie would be a good source  for info on Mausers, as would DaveBoone....

48 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It is a  Mauser 98 for sure.....Good chance it is a K98K  because so many of them were brought back from Europe after WWII..

However, there are many other 98 Mausers out there.. Wildcat Junkie would be a good source  for info on Mausers, as would DaveBoone....

I’ll figure it out eventually... it’s not going anywhere 

19C8D62F-3D0C-49E6-835F-76B7F640B927.jpeg

8EEC4B47-B3D1-442C-BB6F-724D15C64527.jpeg

6FA17799-5C59-44E1-A0FB-2F5B775F3F7F.jpeg

My mauser when bought ,was 99 bucks . It said Yugoslavia on the sticker . All markings ,k98 German,  predutz ( spelled wrong ) factory 44 etc . Does anyone know all what that means.  Numbers don't match, more less care for my own knowledge. 

The action is oh so butter smoothe ,Paul mauser knew what he was doing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Great rifle! You can look the bbl markings up online as to which armory manufactured it, and there should be a year also. I cant quite make out the wording printed along the length of the barrel, ending in EE.

It looks like B BLINDEE      I looked up the  ELG crown marking and it says its a proof mark from Liege Belgium. 

2 hours ago, sbuff said:

My mauser when bought ,was 99 bucks . It said Yugoslavia on the sticker . All markings ,k98 German,  predutz ( spelled wrong ) factory 44 etc . Does anyone know all what that means.  Numbers don't match, more less care for my own knowledge. 

The action is oh so butter smoothe ,Paul mauser knew what he was doing 

The "predutz 44" marking would indicate that it was a 98 that was captured or otherwise appropriated by the Yugoslavs from the Germans.  Most of the German markings are usually scrubbed ( except under the barrel) and the Yugoslav crest and "44" markings were added when the Yugoslavs reconditioned the rifle.  The early rifles didn't have the mark 98/48  but the later reconditioned rifles did.  

If your plan is to sportorize the rifle you will find it easier to find an aftermarket  stock for a 98.  While the rifles are very similar many of the parts are not interchangeable including the stock (without modification) and bolt.

It certainly appears to be a 98

I'm far from an expert but did quite a bit of research when I picked up my 2nd M48 to sportorize years ago.  The 48s as well as several 96s I've picked up over the years to sportorize have never seen the hacksaw and are in original issue format.  I couldn't bring myself to cut them up and kept thinking I'd pick up another to cut up, then that one was also added to the herd LOL 

A long time ago I picked up a book on 96s and then one on 48s at local gun shows.  I'll see if I can find the book on 48s ( although yours is a 44/98 the book discussed all of the iterations of the Yugo from the original Czech 24 to the 48s

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
With a Mauser, if the  bolt and reciever numbers match, the value increases....Not as much as totally matching numbers, but still valuable...I have a  1938 Oberndorf  K98K  and all numbers match except the stock ( issue, not aftermarket) rear sight and forward barrel band..I consider it valuable enough NOT to sporterize.. Consider the fact that they are not making any more of them...I can remember the day when you could buy a shooter M-1 Garand for $300 or less... What is the least you could buy a functional one for today  ??
What is your Enfield ?...

Do you have kids? I feel like I’m young enough to be your kid. Can you leave your gun collection to me in your will ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/27/2020 at 7:48 PM, Pygmy said:

With a Mauser, if the  bolt and reciever numbers match, the value increases....

I just thought I should add this bit of cautionary warning.

If the bolt and receiver numbers don't match, you should seriously consider having the headspace checked!

If you don't have access to headspace gauges clamp it in a vice and fire the first round with a string, or at least with arms extended.

A 98 Mauser is almost impossible to blow up, but you could get a face full of chamber gases if the headspace is too far out of spec.

Edited by wildcat junkie