Looking for ATV

• 2 weeks later...

suggestion. If you are mainly using for riding, the independent rear suspession in the bomb. If it is mainly a work horse the solid rear axle is ok and actually easier to lock so the suspension doesn't move during implement use. Now if you are using it for a lot of towing and implement use I would suggest avoiding the belt driven models. I have a Polaris sportsman (belt driven0 and my father has a Bombardier Trackster and his you have to shift it is not a belt drive and it pulls like crazy and no smoking belts. Both are 500's and it is amazing what they can do.

Bought a 2001 Kawasaki 220 Bayou off craighs list it was in perfect condition. Shaft not belt driven. But had to drive to Conn. to get it worth the drive. Everything was like new and the price was right. Have two others that ate 1996 and still runing great, just replaced a few batteries and the floats on one of the carborators. Fire right up every year. They sit from Dec to April and never had any problems. Mainly use them for hunting and riding on the logging trails. Have a wagon that I attach, that I use to bring in fire wood. Mainly just cut blowdowns alwasy plenty so I don't cut down trees. Just the ones mother nature knocks down.

Dave. you bring up a great point I should have mentioned. The Bayou is shaft driven but so is my Polaris Sportsman. That is the secondary drive. The primary is what I ws refering to on the belt driven comment. THe Bayou is another good example of a good pulling machine because the primary is gear driven NOT belt driven like mine. I am not sure if this is a hard fast rule but usually if you dont have to shift it ...it has a belt primary. (like a snowmobile)

I have a Suzuki 500 4x4 manual shift tranny, this is great a plowing snow. I also have a 98 Polaris sportsman which does a great job plowing, but hate the reverse cut out that is has on it.You can over ride it with a button, but that gets a pain. Also have a Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4 this is full time 4 wheel drive. Nice little machine to use around the yard as it is smaller and turns sharper then the 500's.

You can get some good deals. I only paid $500 the 1998 Kawasaki Bayou 4x4 and this thing was in great shape, only had to buy a battery. The Suzuki I bought brand new for $5600, and the Polaris I bought for $400 bucks (from neighbor,he got a new one, and said the old one did not run right), had a bad cam. Ended up putting a new cam and rocker, and a stator. One down side of a Polaris Sportsman is takes a 0w30 weight oil (the 0 is not a error) in Synthetic . This is why alot of the Sportmans have a cam failure, as people but the wrong oil in them.

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

I looked into buying an ATV for doing what you are planning to do with one.I bought one with a 500 cc engine auto trans.It has moved everything I wanted to,I have a tilt wagon to tow behind,Carried just about anything you can think of on the side of the mountian I live on.

If I had it to do over again I would get a UTV.

I have a Suzuki 500 4x4 manual shift tranny, this is great a plowing snow. I also have a 98 Polaris sportsman which does a great job plowing, but hate the reverse cut out that is has on it.You can over ride it with a button, but that gets a pain. Also have a Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4 this is full time 4 wheel drive. Nice little machine to use around the yard as it is smaller and turns sharper then the 500's.

You can get some good deals. I only paid $500 the 1998 Kawasaki Bayou 4x4 and this thing was in great shape, only had to buy a battery. The Suzuki I bought brand new for $5600, and the Polaris I bought for $400 bucks (from neighbor,he got a new one, and said the old one did not run right), had a bad cam. Ended up putting a new cam and rocker, and a stator. One down side of a Polaris Sportsman is takes a 0w30 weight oil (the 0 is not a error) in Synthetic . This is why alot of the Sportmans have a cam failure, as people but the wrong oil in them.

I pretty much hate you now LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my father has a Bombardier Trackster and his you have to shift it is not a belt drive and it pulls like crazy and no smoking belts.

Ditto the Traxter 500 with CVT!!!! I've beat my to death & it keeps on running.

You won't win any ATV races with it and probably not the best for high speed trail riding, just a great work horse!!!

The John Deere Buck was exact same ATV.

Don't know who makes them for JD these days.

Maybe still Can-Am (Bombardier)...?