OK - OCD question

moog5050

As far as what you can put down a disposal, my plumber friend ( who won’t own one ) says basically what you rinse off your plate . 

Also some folks don’t know about it’s reset button , and how to clear a jam with the Allen Wrench .

Edited by Nomad

33 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You can use citrus to clean disposal.    Cut up limes, lemons and oranges and turn it on.    Does a great job.  

Let's see, on my way home from work.....

Milk

Eggs

And oh ya......fresh produce to throw down my garbage blender cause it's a stinking waste hole.

LOL.

I'm having a some fun out of this because appliances were delivered on jobsite this week.

Plumber asks about island sink, and we both rolled our eyes when I mention a disposal came. 

Just then electrician turns the corner. Sees the box and mutters, oh great f'ing disposal.

And we all laughed.

When it fails, we all get called. Cabinet guys cause we supplied it, plumber cause it's got a pipe, and electrician cause it got a wire. 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don’t know anyone who has one yet except forum members now. Just empty your plate in garbage before rinsing in sink and putting in dishwasher. I don’t get the point of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The point is no food in a smelly garbage can 

• Like 1

I really thought everyone has a disposal now.   Chuck the peel from citrus fruits to clean.   And I throw the heavy stuff in garbage but I like a disposal. 

I love my disposal, as long as the meal doesn’t have bones scraps go right down the disposal. Citrus peels and vinegar leave it clean as a whistle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked as a plumber for 13 years and we did drain snaking too. I was a yearly visit for alot of customers to come and put snake the disposal line with an electric snake. Some were the problem of the house had old galvanized drains (which they didn't want to replace) or the idea that they needed a disposal installed when they moved in, and the piping was not great for a disposal( 60' of 2" copper pipe in the basement ceiling with no real pitch all the way across the house). The holidays were always busy. You have family over they insist on helping with the dishes!!!! They just scrape everything in without water, or pausing to empty and rinse it down the pipe, or not running it untill it was full!!! I would not recommend one, but still people swear they need one. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Do you take out 7 garbage bags a week ? 

Never had one growing up, or my first two, houses ,largely unnecessary, i cant recall the last time I used ours .

My Mom had a coffee can with a plastic bag in it that she set next to the sink doing dishes ,or cooking , waste went in that , and bag got tossed ,can went back under sink .