Pulled venison

zeke83

Has anyone tried to make pulled venison? What cut of meat would work best? All I have is a whole leg in the freezer that I have not cut up yet. Would I be able to take a large cut of meat off and put it in the crock pot, just like a pork butt? Would it pull apart like the pork butt?

Thanks

I do it all the time. I have used neck roasts, backstrap, leg roasts. They all work very well. I do it in the crock pot, I put the meat in, add half a bottle or so of BBQ sauce, then just as much water and stir it up. I put the cover on, set it on high until it starts getting good and hot, then back it down to low and leave it all day. About 1/2 hour before dinner, I crank it back up to high and let it go until just before dinner, then I shred the meat apart with a couple of forks and there you go.

I do it all the time. I have used neck roasts, backstrap, leg roasts. They all work very well. I do it in the crock pot, I put the meat in, add half a bottle or so of BBQ sauce, then just as much water and stir it up. I put the cover on, set it on high until it starts getting good and hot, then back it down to low and leave it all day. About 1/2 hour before dinner, I crank it back up to high and let it go until just before dinner, then I shred the meat apart with a couple of forks and there you go.

I see you add the BBQ sauce in the beginning. Doesn't it get watered down when you add the water? When I make pulled pork I cook the meat all day then remove it and shred it. I return it to the crock pot and then add the BBQ sauce and let it cook for another 1/2 hour and its ready.

• Like 1

Yes, it gets watered down, which is what I want to happen. If you tried to cook it with just BBQ sauce, the sugars in the sauce would burn on the bottom of the crock pot. Having the meat cook in the watered down BBQ sauce does the same thing as marinading the meat beforehand. Once you put the meat on your bread or whatever, you can add BBQ sauce on top of it.

Yes, it gets watered down, which is what I want to happen. If you tried to cook it with just BBQ sauce, the sugars in the sauce would burn on the bottom of the crock pot. Having the meat cook in the watered down BBQ sauce does the same thing as marinading the meat beforehand. Once you put the meat on your bread or whatever, you can add BBQ sauce on top of it.

I think I'll try that next time with the pork - unfortunately no venison this year - bummer!

All the neck meat and cuts that are just to time consuming to clean, get put in the crockpot at processing. Through carrots and onions, along with a bunch of different seasonings in the pot. I also add some of the beef graveys, my wife leaves in the cupboards for a while. Cook it slow till tender, let it cool overnight in the frig, and cook it again. It's the cool down between cookings that really bring on the flavor. Freeze whats left over, having a quick pulled venison sandwich, when needed.