Bolt Action shotguns?

Felt recoil is a factor of weight, fit, choke, and the ammo fired fom the gun. I have had a few bolt action shotguns and found using them with target loads is quite comfortable. Using 3" mags and slugs is another matter.

For bird shot and buck shot, a full choke will produce more felt recoil. Slugs fired through any choke setting other than cylinder bore, will do likewise.

If the gun doesn't fit you well, or you are not holding it right, you are going to feel more recoil. Add some weight to the butt stock, or use a "Dead Mule" mercury filled recoil reducer and add a good recoil pad and you should not feel too much kick.

What brand is your bolt action shotgun? We have, and shoot regularly, old Mossberg bolt guns in 20 ga., 12 ga., and .410 bore. No problem with recoil in any of them, even when using 3" ammo.

To reduce recoil: Add, or replace a recoil pad...Add weight to the gun...Shoot only low base ammo, loaded with small shot

What brand is your bolt action shotgun? We have, and shoot regularly, old Mossberg bolt guns in 20 ga., 12 ga., and .410 bore. No problem with recoil in any of them, even when using 3" ammo.

To reduce recoil: Add, or replace a recoil pad...Add weight to the gun...Shoot only low base ammo, loaded with small shot

My first multiple shot shotgun was a Mossberg .410 bolt gun (Model 273 I think). Still have it and love to take it out for bunnies. (throws a mean slug too)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I can't replace or trade this gun it has a family history but I was in Cuba me and a friend saw a deeer in the fields so we put on camo grab the guns and this deer wont move stays broadside my friend is using a semi auto shotgun with a scope he shoots and misses I hide behind a log and raise the barrel to the deer and aim for the lungs i shoot the drop is what killed me so I shot it and the slug dropped inches INCHES!!! infront of the deer and if I just raised it 2 to 3 inches ida had my first deer for a newbie

Buckwild96,

Glenfield, I'm quite sure, is a Marlin. With the family history you mention, it is a gun worth keeping...and using. For that recoil: When patterning or target shooting, use a slip on SHOOTER'S FRIEND recoil pad; it will reduce felt recoil substantially. When shooting at game, you won't be bothered by recoil...probably won't even notice it.

I'm guessing your old gun is choked FULL, but it would be a good idea to check it to know for sure.

If you plan to use your bolt gun for deer, spend some time trying a variety of slugs to see which it shoots best (use that SHOOTER'S FRIEND).

Enjoy that gun!!!

Early