Anyone Here Ever Make Thier Own Pot Call?

DirtTime

I got into building custom knives from blade blanks and found I enjoy doing it. That got me to thinking about making my own turkey calls.

Found a place that sells the materials. From different slate, glass, metal, and even some ceramic to the actual pots. They even sell striker materials and the handles. So I may order the stuff to make one and give it a try this Spring.

Anyone ever done this? I'm talking pot calls, not wing-bone or boxes, not push calls. Pot calls.

Edited by DirtTime

Nope but I know a few local guys that make their own various calls I can use. I know they make and tinker with a lot of combinations. Also seems to be a lot skill involved in tuning them as you go.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I don't- but that Shotgun with the Scope looks Fine!

Thank You. That's my 301 Stevens Savage 20GA with the Gobble Stopper scope. That pic was from this past deer season.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If you're doing it I'll send you some wood. I have some walnut and cedar IIRC. I may have some skates and glass too. What I can't find is the expensive Forstner bits I bought to make them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I may take you up on that. I haven't committed to the project yet, but I'm giving it some very serious thought.

From what I read the biggest issue will be setting/seating the slate ( example ) in the pot to get proper sound from the chamber. I figure if I buy a premade pot that already has the proper cut for the slate ( example ), I can carve it out some to lower it, or if I have to raise it a bit some paper micarta cut to a ring might work. Drilling the holes for the sound seems like the easiest part.

Edited by DirtTime
Urban spell check sucks!

I once called in a turkey with a bud longneck and my car keys- does that count?  No lie, came right up to the deck.  But put me in the woods and hunting them they hangup at 40 !  

I have a friend from high school that makes calls that i use.  But it would be cool to call one in with somehting you made yourself.  

This is the one I put together from a kit, I had to sand the entire thing down, glue in the pedestal ring to put the soundboard on, glue in the glass soundboard put a can of carrots on top of it because I did not have a clamp, let it sit for 2 days so glue would dry, then put on slate surface and repeat the process with the can of carrots. Here is a soundfile if you care to hear it. Edit: Darn it, pictures showed up in reverse, sorry about that, trying to edit them in proper order.IMG_0338 (2).JPG113412176_IMG_0330(2).thumb.JPG.88245b0989b85b64002fb810766aef17.JPG

IMG_0342 (2).JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0347 (2).JPG

Edited by Sir-diealot
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I think I'm going to order the stuff to make a call tomorrow or Monday. I'm going to give making the call with Vermont Green Slate and a walnut base a shot. Probably a hickory or rosewood striker.

Lot of call makers best calls are made of walnut, good choice. What are you going to use for a sound board?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

Lot of call makers best calls are made of walnut, good choice. What are you going to use for a sound board?

Ya know, that's where I'm torn. I keep going back and forth with glass or double slate. I might make two, one of each.

I may also make a few strikers, I haven't decided on that yet. I know I want hickory for one, and maybe rosewood. I have some oak I'm going to use for the handle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Ya know, that's where I'm torn. I keep going back and forth with glass or double slate. I might make two, one of each.

I may also make a few strikers, I haven't decided on that yet. I know I want hickory for one, and maybe rosewood. I have some oak I'm going to use for the handle.

My understanding is that double slate will give you a more mellow sound whereas glass should make it higher pitched but if you listen to my call above it does not sound very high pitched at all with a glass soundboard. I put together some strikers as well, but they were also in kit form, just picked the woods and then glued them together.

Edited by Sir-diealot
Forgot to say something