Hunting on power companies property

bkln

I have a great deal of Con Edison powerlines around my county and was wondering if you guys hunt on the power companies properties and how do you get the permission (if any)? I tried to call ConEd to no avail, getting run around "we don't do that" and "I have no idea" kinda responses. Do you have similar issues and were you successful in getting a permission to hunt there? Let us know.

I have a great deal of Con Edison powerlines around my county and was wondering if you guys hunt on the power companies properties and how do you get the permission (if any)? I tried to call ConEd to no avail, getting run around "we don't do that" and "I have no idea" kinda responses. Do you have similar issues and were you successful in getting a permission to hunt there? Let us know.

just go and hunt there, i doubt anyone will even bother you. i here of guys up here hunting nyseg property along power lines all the time. theres never anyone there, and calling them to get permission is a waste of time because there really isnt anyone with the authority or who wants the responsiblity of going on the record for giving hunters permission to hunt power company land....

That's what I was thinking, I do have a permission on the adjacent land on both sides so I figure that's OK for me to cross it, just wanted be fair with the land owner, you know how touchy some people get, even on this board...:-)

Up in this part of NY the power lines are owned by the land owner, the power line people have a right away only, I pay taxes on 28 acres under the lines!!

thats what i was gonna mention. usually, the power companies lease the land from land owners. unless its state land(obviously) then, the landowners will piss and moan how n. grid or nyseg isnt payin up. id talk to bordering landowners first b4 u set up.

There are no leases that I know of. National Grid has a right-of-way across me and that's all it is. Their towers stand there and they can come on us to maintain the equipment and keep the vegetation trimmed. Every year they send us a packet with the info for the spray they plan on applying and when, but no check.

I have a power line that crosses a portion of my land also. I own the land and the power company has a deeded easement to cross it with their lines and only they have the right to access the land to maintain their poles and lines. Once in while I'll have to confront someone who thinks he can come on my property to hunt the lines or ride atvs and snowmobiles.

It would be nice if power companies would inform the public that they do not own the land that crosses private property. When in doubt, ask permission.

I did but no one said "go ahead or hell no" , the land belongs to Con Edison (according to the town hall papers) and like I said I have permission to hunt north and south from it. I guess I will "try" not to trespass....and see what happens...:-)

some high power tranmission lines are owned by the power companys, some of right of ways and a few far sighted owners have leases. sounds like you did the reserch and did it right finding the owners via plat map. go ahead and hunt but remember adjacent landowners might be touchy about shooting into their property

in Orange and Ulster, nyseg and central hudson own tracks of land that have the so called high T's, short for high tension wires, the big mama's. but alot of the smaller grids or whatever the technical term for them is are leased on private property. the high T's are great places to hunt because of the over 200 foot swath of clearing mantained by the power companies. on some of them you can snipe deer at hundreds of yards.

I worked for power co. for 40 yrs. I know some right of ways are leased , some one time payments, some owned by the power co. all are different. The ones leased or one time payments belong to the property owners that the lines cross & you need their permmision to hunt them. (private property)

• 2 weeks later...

up north here nyseg dont own the property where powerlines go through they just have the right a way the land owner wtill owns it and pays the taxes on it is it different elsewhere. i'm just asking not sure how it works but I used to live downstate on the new york side near bennington vermont and a double powerline went through our farm and they just bought the right a way not the property, like I said i'm just asking.I always worry about someone giving me hell so im extra careful and dont wanna be hassled always best to ask and get written permission from whomever owns it as it makes for more enjoyable hunting with peace of mind.

Edited by vietvet50