Backyard goldfish gone

Big Indian

5 years ago did a pond project w/ the kids, dug hole, put a form pond in dressed it up w/ fancy rocks, flowers made it nice bought a dozen 0.99 cent feeder goldfish at the pet store and they grew. The kids named them all and we were happy and really enjoyed watching them grow ,sit next to the pond watch them swim, listen to the waterfall, and to my surprise nothing bothered them (cats, coons, etc)

Last night a coon got in there and there is nothing left of our fish. My kids are gonna flip out when they wake up.

I am so disappointed, and am trying to figure out how to break it to them, it's gonna be a rough day !

Thanks for letting me vent.

All you can do is explain to them the real meaning of wildlife. There is always something looking to eat them. Then when they get mad and tell you to yake them out,you go get the live trap and put a little tuna in there. Once the problem coons are relocated...Forever... You can get them some new fish!!! Good Luck!!!

I just discovered that the 8 Koi I had are gone.And they were 16" to 24" long,Did a search Too big for Hawks,Herions,no tracks on the ground or remains.This was after the water temp.went down and they want to the bottom for the winter.I walked around the pond all winter looking for sign of critters coming to the pond.(Mystery).Last year I blew away a Mink that had the last of 14 fish in its mouth I had 6" to 10",it was much colder last year and the mink take them and store them for a later day when it is cold out.

According to the NYSDEC person I talked to a few years ago.Racoons and Fox will not take fish unless the are already Dead.I can see a Mink killing a 16" to 24" fish but not be able to move it in one piece,A heron will kill a fish that size and in most cases just leave it there IT cannot swollow it or carry it away.There were no fish scales or drag marks at all.The Shot Gun still at the back door.

Yeah things will get them.... even the bigger ones...My Brother inlaw is a big fish/pond guy. About 3 years ago we were over for a BBQ and at about 1200AM we heard my sister scream... We went to the back door and saw a coon eating one of their bigger fish, 10-12" right off their deck... like 5yrds from the door. It just stayed right there!!. FYI Coons cant take a .380 round.

My buddy had a similar problem with his pond. We live on Long island and he couldn't figure out what was stealing his fish. He had some ghost Koi which were over 24" long. He finally caught a heron flying down and sitting at the pond one day trying to eat some more fish. He solved the problem by putting a plastic mesh netting over the pond. I believe he bought it at the shop where he got his pond supplies. After he did that....no more herons....no more lost fish. The netting does take away the beauty of the pond a bit but he felt it was better than losing all his fish.