? .243 and 50 cal muzzleloader max shots

luberhill

I have sighted both in slightly high at 100 yards..

The normal spots I hunt I would never have a shot further and most are half of that but …

This new pc there are a couple places where shots could exceed 100 yards .

In an open field setting , what would be the longest shot you would take on a deer with either of the above ?

Just now, ncountry said:

A lot of variables. Loads, bullet types ect..  I personally would feel confident with the muzzleloader to 150-175 yds.  I would start getting uncomfortable with the .243 at 275 yds.

I use two 50 pellets and the Hornady bullet..

With the 243 I’d probably stick to 200 yards ?

You would be safe at those distances for sure.  I've seen a lot of deer killed with a .243 and the only negative I can see is a poor blood trail. Shot through the heart/lungs the deer will be on the ground in under 50yds . Watch very closely where the deer is standing at the shot and where it went..

My experience with the 100 grains of pellets and saboted hornadys are similar. No great blood trails  but the deer is often closer and easier to find..

14 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I have sighted both in slightly high at 100 yards..

The normal spots I hunt I would never have a shot further and most are half of that but …

This new pc there are a couple places where shots could exceed 100 yards .

In an open field setting , what would be the longest shot you would take on a deer with either of the above ?

.50 you could reach 150, a bit more. 243 the sky's the limit

Hunting Deer with a 243 my bullet of choice would be a 100 gr Nosler Partition loaded hot. With an accurate rifle and a steady rest 300 yards.

As for a muzzleloader I am hunting with traditional sidelocks, lead maxi balls with open sights, I limit my shots to around 100 yards. Some of these modern muzzleloaders with scopes and high powered loads shooting pointed bullets can extend the distances almost the same as a cartridge firing modern firearm.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1