Crossbow disadvantage!!!!

NFA-ADK

Apparently It is illegal to hunt with a loaded crossbow while still hunting. I was hoping they would have a separate season so I would have a excuse to purchase one. Yet my primary form of hunting is still hunting and with the few chances I have at getting or even seeing a deer I am not able to have the cross bow loaded while hunting according to this e-mail from the DEC. I though it was a safety "rule" as opposed to law...

It states in the crossbow certification qualification safety rules : • Never carry a cocked crossbow with a bolt in it while walking.

Does this mean it is illegal to carry a loaded crossbow while still hunting? I never hunt from a stand in certain area’s and still hunt as my main form of hunting…

Thanks,

Jeff Calderone

Jeff,

As posted in the "Crossbow Safety Rules" it would indicate so. In the same page it would also indicate that "a crossbow is considered unloaded if the bolt is removed, regardless whether it is cocked or uncocked." Safety should always come first so it may be suggested if still hunting, walk with the bolt removed from the crossbow and when your game is identified and you are standing still (not walking) load your bolt.

Thank you,

Dispatcher 23

NYSDEC

Office of Public Protection Dispatch

Central Dispatch - 518-408-5850

Ray Brook Dispatch - 518-897-1300

www.dec.ny.gov

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't plan on leaving it cocked for days. I just wanted to know if it's safe to leave it cocked for hours while on the stand.

AFAIK In the past year NY has allowed the use of crossbows during firearm season. The DEC has proposed the use of crossbows during archery season, but the whining and moaning from bowhunters will likely prevent that change from happening. Texas, among other states, is working on making suppressor hunting legal. Well, regarding the use of hunting crossbows during ML season, your wildlife regulators are likely just behind the times. MLs are no longer primitive weapons.

Sam

Edited by SamHardy

your wildlife regulators are likely just behind the times. MLs are no longer primitive weapons.

Don't say that too loud....there are many felons out there that hunt during gun season ONLY because ML are considered primitive weapons...I found that out when ? how some local felons were out deer hunting....

• Like 1

Growalot, I believe that ML thing was changed in Jan 2012 so felons can not own them. Also there is some law that felons can not own or posses 209 primers.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm#p265.01

Read line number 4 under 265.01

4) He possesses a rifle, shotgun, antique firearm, black powder

rifle, black powder shotgun, or any muzzle-loading firearm, and has been

convicted of a felony or serious offense; or

• Like 1

Dave that's not cynical...it's Fact about many local hunters here...and why I know is because some one that has lived way longer than me..does all their work on computer from...knows how to access way more info than I personally think they should be able to...like ppls credit reports and and pay scales.,,, back ground checks...ect..of course this same person has a police scanner on 24/7 and spotting scopes in their windows......named off a bunch of them and said that's why they only use bow and blk powder....and the other is logic You think the DEC wants to loose a whole lot of hunters and license revenue across the state?

IMO thats just one more law the DEC won't or can't inforce unless they catch someone doing some thing else wrong....even though I assume it wouldn't be too difficult to tie a program to felon lists flagging felons when applying for or issuing licenses Now that last statement was cynical :D

LOL grow, I just like watching you get reved up as the season gets closer and closer. You are so sweet and mellow until you get everything planted and then you flip the switch over to "Homeland Defense". or "Deerland Defense". LOL