The Weirdness of Wayne LaPierre

8 minutes ago, left field said:

Can't tell of this is a total hit piece or he is just that strange a dude.

From Vanity Fair LOL! Libtard as it gets!

More Great Stories From Vanity Fair       

Mike Pence Is Already Cashing In on His Potential 2024 Run
— Katie Porter and Her Whiteboard Are Just Getting Started
 Trump’s New Social Media Company Is His Biggest Scam Yet
— Former Bush Guy Matthew Dowd Is Trying to Turn Texas Blue
 Joe Manchin Is About to Make Life Worse for His Own Constituents
— David Zaslav Is Angling to Become America’s King of Content
— Colin Powell’s Death Has Officially Been Hijacked by Anti-vaxxers
— Rigged State Governments Are Steadily Undermining Democracy
— From the Archive: Rupert Murdoch’s Tumultuous Third Marriage

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, left field said:

Did you miss that it's an excerpt from a book?

Read "confessions of a gun lobbiest" if you want some additional interesting insight on nra. Google it and long passages are free online.

I met Chris Cox at a private fund raiser clays shoot, thats who should have taken over the top spot. Commands a room, super charasmatic.

1 hour ago, left field said:

did you see that WLP video? It looked like the PH was going to smack him.

Just saw it on Youtube.   He looks like he never handled a firearm in his life for crying out loud!

I'd say the article does a total hatchet job of LaPierre, but I've seen him on TV more than enough times to get the impression that he really does have the personality of a doorknob.

11 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Just saw it on Youtube.   He looks like he never handled a firearm in his life for crying out loud!

I'd say the article does a total hatchet job of LaPierre, but I've seen him on TV more than enough times to get the impression that he really does have the personality of a doorknob.

Well, a knob, anyway.....

28 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It appeared that the PH walked 10' to the animal, pointed at a spot on it's side and said, "Here," and LP missed three times until another PH put it down.

5 hours ago, left field said:

@Dinsdale I'm curious about that book. Recommend? 

I believe you've hunted Africa, did you see that WLP video? It looked like the PH was going to smack him.

I got back  about 2 weeks ago from an elephant hunt. 8th safari trip.

It’s not the first time he’s looked uncomfortable on TV and on the same show, but hunting buffalo.

Here’s the relationship going on. Tony Makris (the guy in the hat on that hunt) works for Ackerman McQueen, he’s buddies with LaPierre. The video is for a show Makris does on his own “Under Wild Skies”, and he gets Wayne to write a big fat NRA check to pay for it. Ackerman McQueen has had a business relationship with the NRA also, that’s actually now having major friction as both parties are accusing the other of cooking the books.

Makris also happens to be a leading authority of old school safari guns, he’s no fool. Ive never met him, but know folks who have dealt with him.

That book I suggested goes well into that relationship and how the NRA morphed from ‘teach gun stuff’ when founded into a lobbying group.

On the hunt…..

All kinds of folks show up in safari camps, and PH’s have to deal with all levels of skill both shooting and hunting. I’m not a big fan of Wayne, I think his time should be over at the NRA. But almost everyone has had a time where they maybe weren’t at their finest in the hunting fields. I know I haven’t wanted a camera man along as I think it will change my demeanor on a hunt; but I could have some pretty spectacular footage by now. 

The trackers somehow ended up in the line of fire on the other side of that bull and thats on them and the PH. Really poor work on that hunt from what should be seasoned pro’s.

My hunting party got into a dicey situation with a wounded ele calf and a really anxious mother who let us know we were a real problem for her and that herd when we got winded. The next 20 minutes were a bit hairy, but the PH and myself are there to protect the rest of the crew (2 trackers, 2 game scouts). I think I  can acquit myself pretty well when shooting, that whole deal would not have been comfortable with a liability of a client along that can’t shoot well and is nervous to be there. 

And right after that, we started hunting poachers who spooked the buffalo I was after, and had layed the snare that messed up the ele calf really bad. But thats a whole nother’ story.

Buffalo with in 20yds for a few hrs in the morning, charging elephants, spooky buffalo, and poachers made for a hell of a day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, left field said:

Thanks for the clarification. And the story.

I have to admit that I'm a little skeeved out by elephant hunting but that's a personal thing and I would happily read more of your stories.

That’s OK, and its also why I am no longer posting hunt pics or reports anywhere, its a boutique hunt that only a few are interested in seeing and there is no upside putting anything out there.

20 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

That’s OK, and its also why I am no longer posting hunt pics or reports anywhere, its a boutique hunt that only a few are interested in seeing and there is no upside putting anything out there.

I appreciate that. But I think there are probably a lot of cool stories (like the one above) where the kill is a very small part of the whole experience. And you present another seldom talked about side, such as chasing the poachers. 

I appreciate what you said about nerves and hunting - I missed a pheasant on Friday that I should have hit, but he surprised me and I got a little too excited. But that WLP clip seemed to be something else.

• Like 1

Weirdness. 

I went to a local NRA rah-rah BS event once.  I was siting at the end of a row, with the last chair in the row empty. At some point during a speech, someone came and sat down next to me. Out of the corner of my eye I can see lots of motion, like he was rocking in his chair.  Lots of hand motions, gesturing and waving, but no noise. This is really odd! So when I can do it as nonchalantly as possible, I look to my right to see what this strange person is doing. And when I do, I realize it's Wayne LaPierre!

He was practicing his speach I guess, in his head. He wasn't speaking, wasn't making any noise, but he animated as all get out. lol   Weird.

Well, I'm guilty of that.

As a writer, I'm always acting or working dialogue out in my head which usually translates into wild gestures and talking aloud to people who aren't actually in the room. That's fine at home, but I can't control it in public. On the plus side, strangers usually give me a wide berth on the street.

• Haha 1