Anyone use the ratchet jaw treestand

luberhill

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

I want a single ladder stand for a pc i may hunt

i see these singleman ladder stands that have the ratchet jaw at the top

how well do these work ?

is there a size limit on the dia of the tree it will work on ?

Is this what your talking about? If so, I put one up and it was amazing! My son helped me put it up and once we locked the jaws (from the ground), he climbed into the stand and said it was so secure he jokingly said that he didn't think we needed to use any ratchet straps on it! Rock solid, before we even put any ratchet straps on it! Makes putting it up and taking it down much easier AND safer!!!

I bought the Walmart one with the guard rail and rachet thing. Never used the rachet feature just because of the additional fuss to assemble the tightening strap. I do however really pull the regular nylon straps around really tight then cinch em down. I have my son hold the base of the stand and it's very stable to climb and reach around at top to put the main strap on.

I bought one, and it works.  Definately does add some stability for that initial slow climb up to add the ratchet strap however.  Aside from that, the stand itself is ok.  For the price, its a winner.
Are you talking about the Realtree stand they sell at Walmart? Did you get the single or double?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

They sell a double at Walmart as well for 129.
I was thinking of grabbing one this week but wast 100% sure how that jaw would work.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I bought two last week. Jaws work fantastic. IIRC the jaws will fit a 18" tree.  

I didn't bother with the traditional cross straps when setting up the second one. 

Edited by mowin

22 hours ago, luberhill said:

I bought it and set it up , it’s ok but kinda flimsy , I put extra straps on the top .

Im not a big guy so it’s fine but the seat is small .

All those plastic washers . Keeps it quiet but it moves around a bit

Gotta really snug the bolts down. To the point of the metal tube just starting to crush. Mine are solid.  My only complaint is the back rest bar. Even with the pad, it's far from comfortable on the back. 

13 hours ago, mowin said:

Gotta really snug the bolts down. To the point of the metal tube just starting to crush. Mine are solid.  My only complaint is the back rest bar. Even with the pad, it's far from comfortable on the back. 

If you do that it forces the plastic washer out

8 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Did U use the plastic washers one under the nut and one under the head of the bolt ?

Yes, most had two washers. Was it the shooting rail that used 3 plastic washers?

I snugged everything down until the metal tube just started to collapse/bend. Didn't experience the washer splaying out the sides. 

The ladder section's do make noise while climbing, but most of my ladder stand do. 

10 hours ago, mowin said:

Yes, most had two washers. Was it the shooting rail that used 3 plastic washers?

I snugged everything down until the metal tube just started to collapse/bend. Didn't experience the washer splaying out the sides. 

The ladder section's do make noise while climbing, but most of my ladder stand do. 

There is no rail on these