Last year's productive area, this year 0 deer?

chacha

So I have been deer hunting in a spot where I had success and saw lots of deer last year, but haven't been seeing a single deer over multiple sessions this year. What are some common reasons behind this? There are still some deer signs in the area, but no deer were seen. Also, this is public land.

So I have been deer hunting in a spot where I had success and saw lots of deer last year, but haven't been seeing a single deer over multiple sessions this year. What are some common reasons behind this? There are still some deer signs in the area, but no deer were seen. Also, this is public land.

@The Jerkman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were no visible changes near by...so it could be food? I still see deer signs in the area just no deer....

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Food and unknown pressure is what I usually guess on the pieces I've hunted that go hot to cold. any logging on that piece this year,new trails,new houses near by?  

If you are not seeing deer, I would try a different spot or a different part of the public land spot you are hunting. Even though there is deer sign, it may not be fresh or the deer may be using the area outside hunting hours or when you are not there. If what you are doing is not working, it is time to try something different. Perhaps try some still hunting, and cover some more ground.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

As said before change it up, We get into a routine and don't want to deviate from it. The deer are always changing there patterns for food source and safety. I would do a scouting mission. Take a couple hours and walk around you will be surprised at how much an area can change from year to year.

As little as 100 yards can put you back on deer.

• Like 6