Has anyone built a ground level deck? If so any pointers?

burmjohn

I think you said at the beginning of this thread that the ledger board was going to be set on the concrete. If it's not actually attached to the house, you may not need a permit. If I misunderstood, my apologies.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you said at the beginning of this thread that the ledger board was going to be set on the concrete. If it's not actually attached to the house, you may not need a permit. If I misunderstood, my apologies.

Thats correct, its not attached to the house so it wont be considered a permanent structure by their definitions. However, everything requires a permit unfortunately so they can screw you with fee's and fines and more taxes.

John.. I'm very impressed... I know contractors that don't do that kind of work and they still call themselves carpenters... you missed your calling... let me know if you need a job..LOL

Hey Joe, can you post pics of those pavers? Trying to push the wife that way. From what I read though, the best way to do that is to pour a concrete slab, then essentially thinset them down. Then you would never have issues with lifting from freezing and other weather factors. Plus I already have a 12x18 slab there, I would just have to extend it to 14x32.

Seems the pricing on the pavers vary so much is crazy.

From my own experience, pavers are usually not set in thinset or any other mortar. They're usually laid over a layer of gravel or road base and then a layer of sand. They can be laid over concrete, but you'd still use the layer of sand.

If you already laid down a concrete pad, why not just go with stamped concrete and forget the pavers. You can get just about any pattern you want done and stain it whatever color you like. One of my buddy's did a very nice stamped concrete patio last year and stained it. It turned out great, and maintenance is a minimum. Ill see if I cant find the pics he took of it.

• 2 weeks later...

From my own experience, pavers are usually not set in thinset or any other mortar. They're usually laid over a layer of gravel or road base and then a layer of sand. They can be laid over concrete, but you'd still use the layer of sand.

Yeah your right, they are doing the pad then sand then the pavers.

I just used the landscape blocks as a border then poured conrete inside...it just gives it a nice frame.. a paver border and stampcrete looks even better

Joe how well did the concrert hold up? Did the concrete start to crack? I have a concrete floor in my garage crack in a few places, but not bad and no real problems. The guy who poured the concrete said to expect it to run some cracks over time.

Joe how well did the concrert hold up? Did the concrete start to crack? I have a concrete floor in my garage crack in a few places, but not bad and no real problems. The guy who poured the concrete said to expect it to run some cracks over time.

You need to make sure you have stable virgin ground to pour on or make sure it is tamped...and use fiber concrete and mesh.. then cut expansion joints in the slab with a concrete blade in your circular saw. My patio is 7 years old and is still in great shape.

side walkway poured... This side of the house was never used because it was a mess of rocks and mainly dirt. Plus there is a rather annoying supporting line for a telephone pole in the way. At least its walkable now and will stay weed free.

post-2-0-45412200-1336157324_thumb.jpg

side walkway poured... This side of the house was never used because it was a mess of rocks and mainly dirt. Plus there is a rather annoying supporting line for a telephone pole in the way. At least its walkable now and will stay weed free.

John, is your house a Levitt?

Here is how the patio came out... hopefully my seed comes up before the babies party in June. Spent the whole day out there trying to grade it a little, seed, fert... Also had a tree taken down last year, so I had moved some of the grass ripped up over to the area where the tree was because I wasnt having much luck with seed over there. Looks like I'll have to wait a while till the haze comes off the bricks before I can seal it too...

post-2-0-14891900-1336394753_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-56658900-1336394754_thumb.jpg