new toys

I was at my local gun shop last evening. I go there just to hang out a bit once in a while. Anyway I was looking at handguns and fell in love with the new Ruger sr40c sub compact 40s&w. It sure felt good in my hand. I also for some silly reason grabbed a shotgun off the rack. It was a new mossberg 835 ulti-mag. It handles 2 3/4 3 or 3 1/2 shells. Came with various chokes and was a nice gun. Anyway it at one time was a combo, but the slug barrel had been sold separately which was fine with me, as I have no use at all for a slug gun. Long story short, the shotgun came home with me for 315 dollars plus tax. I thought a pretty good price as I have been researching it since I got it home. The ruger has my name on it now, and I will pick it up in a couple weeks for 425.00. Gotta love toys.

• Like 1

pattern a few different loads in the 835 if you arer going to use the 3-1/2" ones. My friend had one and it shot 3" like a dream but the 3-1/2" loads shot in a donut shaped pattern. It was almost like the charge blew the center of the pattern out. weirdest darn thing. tried different loads and chokes but couldn't get it right. wasn't a how stopper because he was only going to try them for turkey anyway.

Nice price on a super shot gun. Shot the 835 with field barrel. Nice gun. Also shot it with a slug barrel, wouldn't do that again, as it has to much kick for me. What stock came with it?

wooden stock with a cheek piece on it.

I've had an 835 for 25 years now. Had to have one when they first came out. Got the camo model with synthetic stock. The gun has seen many days in the field for turkey and geese and it really takes them out with the 3.5" loads. It shoots 3.5" buckhot real well with the modified choke, but never took it deer hunting. I love the back bored barrel too.

One thing I did, because I don't walk a lot with it, was add weight to the butt stock to help with the recoil. The stock on mine is hollow, so I took off the recoil pad and filled it with a bunch of pennies. Added enough so they packed tight and don't make noise. Figured lead shot would be too heavy. The pennies are just right. Really helps to reduced the felt recoil a lot. I'd say I improved the gun for just pennies, literally.

Personally, I like the feel of a wood stock. The only complaint is that they are to short for a good settle in feel. I always have to add a recoil pad, to get a little more length. It's to cost effect to do that, than have a stock modified. Going out this weekend myself, to site in the new chokes on the turkey guns. Enjoy.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I got an 835 ulti-mag...must be close to 20yrs ago. This is an awsome turkey gun. I've taken a ton of birds with it. Mine is'nt the combo, just the turkey set up. Woodland camo, synthetic stock. It patterned great right out of the box but after a few years I put a tru-glo extra full choke in it and its even a little better.

If you go with 3-1/2 inch shells (which is what I use) Pay attention to the box. The original loading (and best patterning) loads were 2-1/4 oz. of shot. Most loads now are only 2oz. which is the same amount of shot thats in 3" loads.You can still find the 2-1/4's but thay're not as common as the 2's. I think most guys just see the 3-1/2 inch on the box and grab them not knowing the 2-1/4 vs. 2 oz. thing.

A 3-1/2", 2-1/4 oz. load of #5 is devastating on Toms out past 40yrds.. You got a good deal on a great gun... Good luck.

I have an 835 too. Great gun but agree with the advice on here. I shoot the 3.5" shells and Remington use to make a nice turkey cartridge, although expensive. They were the 2 1/4 oz shells as well. Because the Remington's are hard to find I shifted to the winchester 3.5 inch same dimmensions as the Remington and those shoot well - 6 shot for both. The 5's patter terrible with my gun. Good deal on the gun - it is a great turkey gun.

• 1 month later...

I took it out the the range with some 2 3/4 federal turkey loads. With the extra full turkey choke, at 30 yards it was more like a slug took the head off the turkey. I did carry it hunting, but was not lucky enough to get a bird. As for the ruger, I decided on a smith and wesson sd 40