Prime rib anyone???

mowin

We were at a wedding a short time ago at what might be the fanciest hotel/night club in Niagara falls, where beef fillet mignon was served as part of the main course.   There were some real steak lovers there who raved about how good the meat was.   Each guest was served a decent sized fillet and some sort of fancy chicken breast, which I traded to my wife for her fillet.  It wasn't cooked enough for her, but just right for me.  I have always been able to put away good steak/prime rib in quantity.  I ended up with 5 or 6 of those fillets at that wedding, including others received from friends who claimed they were not quite done enough for them.  Everyone was pretty full, by the time the main course arrived, because there had been lots of appetizers served.   We had arrived late, so for our appetizers, we had to settle for a big plate of bacon-wrapped scallops, that my wife had snagged from a waiter on his way to the dumpster.  She has always loved those.
While I did think the beef fillet was was very good at that wedding, and on par with that I have had on occassion at Russell's in Depew, none of those tasted as good to me as that from the 3.5 year old (est.), corn-fed 9 pointer that I had a few weeks later.   A lot goes into making deer fillets good, starting with what the deer has fed on.  A quick heart or double lung kill is helpful, as is a fast blood rinse of the fillets, during the gutting process.  Getting the guts out fast helps a lot also.  I cant imagine how the fillets must taste when folks have backed out overnight and it is no wonder that there is not more love expressed here by some folks for tenderloins.
They should be removed from the deer asap, wiped off with clean paper towels, and be placed in a zip lock bag in a fridge for at least 5 days.  I ate those pictured in that frying pan, after 6 days in the fridge, and that buck's stomach had been filled with corn.  I cook them rare, in an iron frying pan with olive oil, and no added seasoning.   The fact that I killed that deer has nothing to do with the fact that my taste buds react more favorably to it than any beef that I have had anywhere, nor does the fact that it was "free".  All of the best things in life are free because we all have a Good Father who loves to provide for His children. 
I am also no fan of turkey or any white meat besides ruffed grouse.  I never killed a wild tom turkey in the spring, but I have tried some that friends gave me, and found it worse tasting than store bought and farm raised.  The young wild fall hen that I killed a couple years ago was still not good but at least equal to the butterballs. 

No real steak eater eats filet… that is for old ladies with dentures.

Comparing filet to anything doesn’t even count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Beef grading is a continuum. One piece of Choice could be very high quality, just missing the Prime criteria, while another is just barely qualified to keep it from being graded Select. 

This is true but by going with say a CAB or other angus upper 2/3 choice program one can avoid that.

Either that or eat prime

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

No real steak eater eats filet… that is for old ladies with dentures.

Comparing filet to anything doesn’t even count

I sort of agree with that, and I never order them when we go out.  I do order prime rib on occasion, but usually lamb chops, if available.  I only eat fillets if there is no other main course selections but chicken (like at that wedding in the Falls).

I also get “partials” on occasion when the center section is not done enough for my wife.  She is considerably younger than me, and still has her teeth. She often goes for fillet mignon when I take her out.  

I am not much of a steak eater, and I never make them from deer.  I chunk up the back straps and my wife slices them thin for hoagies or stir fry.  I make a few roasts (the necks are my favorite), but most of the deer goes to grind.  Like crappy, most of my favorite dishes are made with that, and all without any pork added. 

My brother in law raises beef cattle and serves up some decent T-bones on our annual family summer vacation up to their cottage on the St Lawrence.  Once a year is about all I can handle of those. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Chef said:

So you live in Ohio and hunt in NY?

I guess that gives you tons of opportunities with our long season?

Yes I hunt NY in 9j where I grew up and moved from 4 years ago. Best purchase ever was a lifetime License. I hunt Pa in Erie county if I am successful early in NY as my cousin has 20 acres less than 5 miles from where I hunt in 9j. I also hunt Stark and Carroll county in OH. Ohio has a really long archery season I can use x bow in. I hunted 2 days of x bow in NY as I filled my either sex tag with a 8 point on the second day. Should have been the first day but wounded and/or lost one I have not came to terms with myself about yet. Got out 4 or 5 days Pa archery with my x bow with no good sized or legal bucks seen. Got a 8 point in OH 11/16 with x bow. Hunted the first 6 days of Ny gun season with only a mutton buck harvested that I thought was a medium sized doe. Only buck seen was a spike the first 2 days and small does throughout the 6 days. Got out a day for Ohio gun with some buddies mostly for the fun at camp. Bought a muzzleloader and will get out for the holiday hunt in Ny while up visiting family.

• Like 3

Yes I hunt NY in 9j where I grew up and moved from 4 years ago. Best purchase ever was a lifetime License. I hunt Pa in Erie county if I am successful early in NY as my cousin has 20 acres less than 5 miles from where I hunt in 9j. I also hunt Stark and Carroll county in OH. Ohio has a really long archery season I can use x bow in. I hunted 2 days of x bow in NY as I filled my either sex tag with a 8 point on the second day. Should have been the first day but wounded and/or lost one I have not came to terms with myself about yet. Got out 4 or 5 days Pa archery with my x bow with no good sized or legal bucks seen. Got a 8 point in OH 11/16 with x bow. Hunted the first 6 days of Ny gun season with only a mutton buck harvested that I thought was a medium sized doe. Only buck seen was a spike the first 2 days and small does throughout the 6 days. Got out a day for Ohio gun with some buddies mostly for the fun at camp. Bought a muzzleloader and will get out for the holiday hunt in Ny while up visiting family.

That’s is amazing great area to live with easy access to 3 states

Sorry about the lost deer. I had a situation like that two weeks ago that a few members know about offline. I was sick about it the entire time. Hated being in that stand and would wake up thinking About it some mornings.

Finally got closure when I woke up this morning as I got a pic of him on cell cam at around 4am

It happens to the best of us.

But man sounds like you have a awesome set up going on. What would you do if you took a wall hanger in all 3 states in the same year

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chef said:

That’s is amazing great area to live with easy access to 3 states

Sorry about the lost deer. I had a situation like that two weeks ago that a few members know about offline. I was sick about it the entire time. Hated being in that stand and would wake up thinking About it some mornings.

Finally got closure when I woke up this morning as I got a pic of him on cell cam at around 4am

It happens to the best of us.

But man sounds like you have a awesome set up going on. What would you do if you took a wall hanger in all 3 states in the same year

I would happily pay if I got 3. I have done a euro on every buck I have harvested  so far which is 11 in the last 6 years of hunting no monster taken. Hunted pa last 2 years with no buck harvested, Ohio for the last 4 years Ny xbow for 5 and NY gun for 6. Biggest one so far is my first NY gun buck on my second year hunting and I regret not doing a full mount.

3B3A6475-99CA-4052-B8EC-1F52C39FCF1A.jpeg

A3B8707C-CA18-435A-891F-09B1005EAE20.jpeg

FE6AFB8E-6B24-4644-8AA3-65C8C3D02B9C.png

81E52A41-3759-464D-84F3-BB63E9BAEC61.png

25FD04D3-B889-4746-92E1-6EA2E14BE933.jpeg

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH