Chenango County Coyotes

grifflvc

You're assuming yotes killed them... they may have fed on the carcasses but you can't be sure they killed them... unless maybe they are fawns... it is extremely rare for coyotes to take down adult deer unless there is something wrong with the deer... coyotes don't have huge "packs"... small family units.. yes... but they are not a wolf like pack animal... and don't kill in the same way as wolves as a rule. Is it possible? yes... but not probable.

Make them a kill on sight. they are all over now and sure have major impacks on both deer and turkey.

They have only the impact that mother nature allows... there are approx. 1 million whitetails in NY and 20,000 coyotes... that equates to under 2000 family groups across NY.. and about 4000 individual rogue animals... most hunting areas carry just one faily group and a few rogue coyotes....even if each family group killed 50 deer per year (which they do not)... that would account for only 10% of the total NY deer population... which would recover the following year... I agree that there are isolated cases where they have more impact than others, but overall... they have minimal impact in NY.

I have to wonder if there would be any significant impact to the coyote population if there was no closed season. There is actually plenty of time to hunt them for those that want to. The problem is that nobody but a very few really want to hunt them. A lot of people talk about it, but very few actually spend a lot of time actually doing it. And then too, there is also the problem with the fact that coyote hunting sounds a whole lot easier than it really is. Those of us who have actually tried it can attest to that. I suspect that with all the things we hunters have going on in the summer months, absolutely no one would actually go out to hunt them during that time.

So, let's say there was no closed season on them ....... Could you picture yourself out there during the warm-weather months, fighting the bugs and the heat, trying to get one? Honestly ...... would you? I doubt anyone else would either.

And then there is the idea that they really are fur-bearers, and a natural resource for trappers and hunters that want to actually make a bit of money selling the furs. While nobody is going to get rich off them, they do draw enough money to make it worthwhile to skin and sell them. It really seems a waste of wildlife to kill a coyote at a time when they are totally worthless when it is actually more practical to pursue them at a time when the pelts are prime.

I think we all think that it sounds like a wonderful idea to drop the season entirely, but more likely is another one of those ideas that sounds a whole lot more effective than it really would be.

"there are approx. 1 million whitetails in NY and 20,000 coyotes"

That's interesting! I know i have spent 2 years in the past 5 where I saw more coyotes then deer in the hunting season,

I'll bet its the same old story where NYS as a whole has a certain ratio and yet there is no one place within the state that has that exact ratio. It's kind of like looking at the over-all state deer harvest and expecting all localities to reflect the statewide trends. You may have an area of unusually high concentration of coyotes. In areas like that where coyote populations are a problem, one would expect sportsmen to go take the trapping course and declare war on them ...... in season. But the problem is that we know that nobody will actually go out and do that, or at least not enough of them to actually make a difference. Extending the season to year around really won't make hunters or trappers any more eager to get out there and go after these critters than they do now with the existing season.

Like i've always said... what you see in the woods is usually just a product of dumb luck ....some years I see lots of coyotes and others I don't... it's the same with deer and the same with turkeys. Making an assumption that there are less deer or turkeys because there are more coyotes is nothing more than speculation. If things were as bad as most guys have been complaining the last 10 years.. there wouldn't be any whitetails or turkeys at all left on some properties.. we all know that is not the case.

It's kind of like saying there are no fish left in the lake because you didn't catch any one day and we need to kill all the fisherman that are lucky enough to catch all the fish...lol

Like i've always said... what you see in the woods is usually just a product of dumb luck ....some years I see lots of coyotes and others I don't... it's the same with deer and the same with turkeys. Making an assumption that there are less deer or turkeys because there are more coyotes is nothing more than speculation. If things were as bad as most guys have been complaining the last 10 years.. there wouldn't be any whitetails or turkeys at all left on some properties.. we all know that is not the case.

It's kind of like saying there are no fish left in the lake because you didn't catch any one day and we need to kill all the fisherman that are lucky enough to catch all the fish...lol

Every lake I've been no has no fish. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey Griff I'm right in Smyrna and we can hear them howling n barking every night. I also find a few dead deer every spring but not sure if they are coyote casualties, car accidents or whatever but I know the locals have been trappin them this past winter with regular success. Like previous posts we always talk abt doin some coyote huntin but usually do not go up there between the end of deer season through to april. If season was year long I know I would do some after noon during turkey....Also I have to say last season was by far the best for deer sightings Ive had in the 10 plus yrs I have hunted the area