Holiday season misfires

wolc123

5 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I hate hearing stories of missed opportunity due to misfires.  I haven't had a single issue since ditching pellets.

My in line misfires only happened with loose powder and thankfully, only at the range.

Never had an issue with 777 pellets and a hot 209 primer.

Since it's so easy to remove the charge from my CVA in lines, I remove the pellets when I know I'm not going to be hunting for a couple of days.

I store those pellets in a dry box with desiccant and use those pellets for fouling shots.

Never had an issue with those pellets igniting either. 

Had many misfires with flintlock and cap rifles, so I just use them for target practice now.

Edited by Shoots100

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Been using 209 since I bought a ML in 2012.  Always goes boom.  One of my favorite guns.  It’s really accurate or I am really accurate with it - whichever.   

What primers? I mix and match Kleenbore and Fusion and while I have never had a misfire at the range Ive had three with deer in the scope. I need to FOLLOW THROUGH! Next year Ill have the proper primers

Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

• CCI 209M
  • Federal 209A

We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps or musket caps.

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

What primers? I mix and match Kleenbore and Fusion and while I have never had a misfire at the range Ive had three with deer in the scope. I need to FOLLOW THROUGH! Next year Ill have the proper primers

Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

• CCI 209M
  • Federal 209A

We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps or musket caps.

CCi 209m. 

• Like 1

All ML regardless of powders, need to be thoroughly dry swabbed out and have primers popped prior to loading...any traces of oil/cleaners can snuff the spark. If I am putting a ML away for an extended amount of time, that bore is well treated with oil/protectant. Just a swabbing aint gonna cut it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wolc123 said:

So far, I have read about one with smokeless powder and two with bh209 powder amoung forum members here. Anyone have any to report with black powder, pyrodex, t7, or white hots ?

On a related note, I can’t understand why anyone would waste a 209 primer clearing the breech plug, on an inline, prior to loading.  Why not just point the muzzle at a light and look for it shining thru the touch hole ?

I have used pyrodex and t7 only in my in-line for the last 20 years and have never had a misfire nor have I ever wasted a primer clearing the breech plug.

Back when I used a sidelock and #11 caps, I would aim it at some leaves and pop one off, prior to loading.  If the leaves moved, then I knew the spark channel was clear.  I still had a misfire and a few hang fires with that.  Never an issue with an inline, where I can see straight thru to the light.

I load my in-line ML at the start of the season(s), and only unload it when shooting at a deer, or by removing the breech plug and pushing the load out at the end of the season(a).  I discard the old  powder, but reuse the bullets & sleeves.  

To limit condensation issues, I lock the gun up outside and avoid bringing it in and out of the warm house.  I also use a cut- off neoprene glove finger or electric tape over the muzzle when it’s raining or in wet snow.

Many people shoot a primer to foul the bore ( called a squib load ) to get a tighter fitting sabot or conical . I wouldn't consider it a waste at all. Many muzzleloaders actually are more accurate with a fouled barrel vs a clean barrel .

The flame channel over time will build up with carbon if using bh209. Overtime too the flame channel will wear out . I think I tracked close to 400 shots before I noticed a grouping opening up.. Bought a new plug and good as new