Recommend me a brush mower

Looking for recommendations on a brush cutter. I have a UTV with a 2" hitch. 

I wouldn't be doing any sapling work over 2". This would be used primarily for a few small 1/2 acre fields that intend to plant on and a 9acre fruit tree orchard. So ideally the ability to get in and around trees would be higher up on my priority list than clearing a field with a wider deck in a shorter amount of time.

I bought this one from mowers direct last year. Swisher 44" country cut. Worked great and it was about $2500. Get the lift gate delivery if you buy one there your not moving this thing by hand. 

I was working but my buddy assembled it the next day and then he cut the entire trails the next day with it. We have all level trails and no rocks but it sure did the job.  He never even had to use 4 wheel drive with his 450 Polaris. 

only thing I don't like is it is electric start only and would've liked the option in case and it doesn't cut when backing up. And I figure thats due to the breakaway setup on the blades in case you hit rocks, ground or a stump. 

did the whole place and didn't even use 1/2 tank of gas. 

image.thumb.png.d6fc68862fe6278814119d94be0cf34d.png

IMG_20210901_172929539.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Right now I'm evaluating the dr. field and swisher. There are a few models in each lineup that are in the mix. 

the 44" models put in me in and around $3k depending on the model. 

I own a bunch of older DR stuff and have done a ton of work with it.  The company was bought by Generac and they gutted any semblance of customer service.  I can still get parts through a local dealer, but I wouldn't consider buying anything new from them.  There a bunch of horror stories/reviews on Google, including people that paid for equipment online and were still waiting for shipping 6 months later with no updates from DR. 

I would buy something used, but I would steer clear of dealing with the company.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, First-light said:

We just keep on mowing certain areas on the property. Just the mowed grass weeds bring in the deer. 

It def does and this year we will be able to keep it mowed instead of the owner doing it once late summer and it's all grown in.  We frost seeded some of the trails with clover this season and that took well too. Going to do a lot of that this spring. 

We have a trail that goes all along the property line of 117 acres and then a trail thru the middle of it.  

Then we also have a few spots where the we can put a couple mini food plots in. Just started doing that this past season. Gonna try it again this year and see how it goes. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

I cut quite a few trails, some on uneven ground, and keep some fields mowed, so I opted to go with a big dog: Kunz Acrease  - the tow-behind model comes with various engine options, from 20-26 hp, including Kawasaki, Kohler, etc..and cut widths from 44-60". It's a heavy duty beast that doesn't appear to require more than basic maintenance. I've had to replace a belt over the past five years. The cut is amazing with the rough cut model, and I assume the finishing mower would be even better, but who here needs that lol? I want to be able to run over 3" saplings and laugh at exposed rocks in the fields. It's made in the US, too. The drawback: price. Last I looked it was ~4.5K. They show up used very infrequently.

• Like 1

I have a 44 inch dr tow behind bought new last spring. It does cut. Long tongue makes turning tight not feasible. Also does not have the remote start or engagement which could be a safety issue.  Tensioner spring for belt broke. Customer service sent me 2 of them and had within a week. I bought direct from website and had unloaded by a forklift.

If I was looking for something to get around in an orchard maybe a front mount would be better. Or a walk behind.

I cut quite a few trails, some on uneven ground, and keep some fields mowed, so I opted to go with a big dog: Kunz Acrease  - the tow-behind model comes with various engine options, from 20-26 hp, including Kawasaki, Kohler, etc..and cut widths from 44-60". It's a heavy duty beast that doesn't appear to require more than basic maintenance. I've had to replace a belt over the past five years. The cut is amazing with the rough cut model, and I assume the finishing mower would be even better, but who here needs that lol? I want to be able to run over 3" saplings and laugh at exposed rocks in the fields. It's made in the US, too. The drawback: price. Last I looked it was ~4.5K. They show up used very infrequently.

Yeah kunz seems to be the most well rated… but yeah price is by far the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk