10yr battery Smoke/carbon monoxide detector suck.

mowin

Last two lasted about 2yrs before going haywire and srart going off for no reason.  

Picked up two new ones about 3 months ago. One starts beeping this morning. No woodstove, fireplace, or any heat sorce that would omit CO running.  Put it outside and it continued to beep for over a hr. First alert brand.  

I miss the 9v ones.  Never had a issue with those. 

3 minutes ago, Paula said:

Can't you still get them? I bought the 10 yr a few months ago after having to call 911, turned out it was my cooking maybe. Lol. The young buck fireman brought me one he had extra from his house. :rolleyes:

I searched online, and the only replaceable battery alarm I found was a 120v with a battery backup.  

This one started going nuts at 6:30 this morning. I had just gotten up to let the muts out.  

2 minutes ago, Paula said:

Kidde Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector, Battery Powered, Interconnect Combination Smoke & CO Alarm, Voice Alert https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC5S0PA/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_9FVAKAEYFBMNVGN9FEGX

They also have just the smoke for under $8

Thanks.   I searched replaceable battery, and couldn't find  crap.  Just ordered two. 

• Like 1

I recently bought a bunch of Kidde's. They always seem to work great for me. However, I never use amazon for serious purchases. Check the "sold by" field and I bet they aren't from Kidde.
I buy mine from Home Depot.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

The only problem I had with them was fires were discovered while still in the incipient stage …

They aren’t perfect especially Co det. Based on my experience off 100s maybe 1000s of responses to ‘ det.going off,” most times it’s a low battery beep not full alarm . Then I’d read the back of the det to the person .

Lots of beats me why it went off .

I had a supply at home , and each one would beep with a new 9v ,I ended up tossing them all .

• Like 2

The sealed 10 year battery style is one thing that you should spend a little bit more money on to avoid the false alarms and battery chirping problems. 

We had a false alarm on the CO detector one summer. Windows where open I had just cooked dinner outside on the grill so there was no way it was a true alarm but we called 911 anyways. 

They showed up full lights and sirens much to my wife's embarrassment and to mine and my kids enjoyment. They scanned the house and got no readings on their equipment. We showed them the CO alarm and that's where they told us they get a lot of false alarm from those cheaper models. 

I went to Home Depot that night at 8pm to pick up new more expensive ones. We haven't had a problem since. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

The sealed 10 year battery style is one thing that you should spend a little bit more money on to avoid the false alarms and battery chirping problems. 

We had a false alarm on the CO detector one summer. Windows where open I had just cooked dinner outside on the grill so there was no way it was a true alarm but we called 911 anyways. 

They showed up full lights and sirens much to my wife's embarrassment and to mine and my kids enjoyment. They scanned the house and got no readings on their equipment. We showed them the CO alarm and that's where they told us they get a lot of false alarm from those cheaper models. 

I went to Home Depot that night at 8pm to pick up new more expensive ones. We haven't had a problem since. 

Mowing had them and he had chirping issues that wakes him and the dogs up. Poor guy

Just to clarify,  all the 10 yr battery alarms I've purchased were from  HD. But neither HD or Lowes had replaceable battery unit's.  

I could see one going off if we were cooking every once in awhile, but I've had suck horrible luck with the 10 yr sealed alarms not lasting but a yr or two.  Been in this house for 3.5 yrs, and I've been through half a dozen of these things. 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I recently bought a bunch of Kidde's. They always seem to work great for me. However, I never use amazon for serious purchases. Check the "sold by" field and I bet they aren't from Kidde.
I buy mine from Home Depot.

The link Paula posted was from the Kidde's store. 

22 minutes ago, mowin said:

The link Paula posted was from the Kidde's store. 

Nope. It's deceiving. it says visit the kidde store. but underneath "buy now" it says sold by amazon. They are probbaly sent from kidde to amazon, but sometimes it can be fake with other products.

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nope. It's deceiving. it says visit the kidde store. but underneath "buy now" it says sold by amazon. They are probbaly sent from kidde to amazon, but sometimes it can be fake with other products.

Understood...

The ones I had issues with ,were the ones we passed out to the citizens ….

Since then I simply bite the bullet and pay the $20 a piece at Lowe’s .

The reason for the ten year ( cr123a battery ) sealed ones is because folks would remove the battery when burnt food , steam set it off or the low battery beeps , and never replace . I guess they don’t know there’s a silence button on it which kills it for ten minutes, then resets .

Many don’t realize any particle will set it off, dust ,steam and so on . Many times some young gal wrapped it a towel would answer the door, not knowing why her “ smoke “ detector went off …. Just one of the perks of the job .

• Like 1