Hunting Rifles(Bolt action)

For the past couple of days I have been looking at many different bolt action rifles. Everyone i came to seem to be some what the same, but there were some difference. I lloked at the Sako A7, Winchester 70, remington 700, savage 110, ruger m77 and browning X-bolt and i was wondering which one is the better gun to go with?

Edited by dirt_a_KISS

I'd lean towards the Remington 700. The Sako would be nice but detachable magazines don't do much for me on a deer gun of any flavor, even if a spare mag is ONLY $85.00 <grin>

Lots of good answers to your question, all will be personal. YOU need to make the call.........

• Like 2

I'd lean towards the Remington 700. The Sako would be nice but detachable magazines don't do much for me on a deer gun of any flavor, even if a spare mag is ONLY $85.00 <grin>

Lots of good answers to your question, all will be personal. YOU need to make the call.........

True true but i think ill nock out the sako if the magazine is $85 thats ridiculess thanks

I agree with Lawdwaz. I use the Remington 700 and it will really come down to your own personal preference. Check them all out and see how they feel in your hand.

The only thing I don't agree with Lawdwaz is the aversion to detachable box magazines. I have nothing against them.

You're willing to spend $2000 on a rifle and scope combo but you're worried about the $85 for an extra magazine which you might never need if you don't lose or break your original magazine?

the sako A7 is 600 i found, but i was thinking n said how many times do people actually loose magazines

You're willing to spend $2000 on a rifle and scope combo but you're worried about the $85 for an extra magazine which you might never need if you don't lose or break your original magazine?

Maybe you missed my point, the biggest reason for nixing the Sako is the fact it HAS a detachable mag. Not really the price of a spare mag. That is just a little more reason NOT to want one for a deer gun. My opinion.

Detachable mags were part of the reason I grew out of my LH Remington 760 25 plus years ago. I didn't want to be messing with a clip that COULD be lost in the woods, truck, coat etc. when it was "go time".

All that said, I bought a Tikka 223 for my son as a xmas gift back about 5 years ago. It is a great shooting piece and it is also fed with a detachable mag but I'm not so concerned with that a woodchuck/plinking gun.

If a guy was going to go with a Sako, just get one with attached bottom metal and a hinged floor plate. It might look like this.........................

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

No, this one isn't worth $2000 but you get the idea. 375HNH is the chambering. Only used it once for deer, killed a beautiful PA. spiker with it on an opening day 10+ years ago. Good times.....

Another Sako is in my safe but that one is a HB 22-250 in RH configuration. Killed lots of chucks with it too. (no mag)

The Sako A7 is listed on their website at $1400. If you can grab it at $600, I think you should.

And Lawdwaz, I got your point, I was responding to this from the original poster:

"True true but i think ill nock out the sako if the magazine is $85 thats ridiculess thanks"

I know this is about bolt guns, but before you go out and get one you really should look into the T/C prohunter, or a nice Ruger #1. I know both are single shot but if you miss with the first shot with a rifle you probably shouldnt have shot in the 1st place or you didnt sight it in good. Pro Hunters are nice because if you want a different caliber all you have to do is buy another barrel not a whole new gun. Just sayin. If your heart is set on a bolt gun then I would go with a Savage. They are consistantly tighter shooters than many of the more expensive guns. The Savage model 114's are nice

post-205-0-26609700-1335500355_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-84747700-1335500800_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-88905900-1335500809_thumb.jpg

Edited by erussell

Also I wouldnt count out the Remington semi auto 750 woodsmaster either. I have one I bought last yr in the Carbine model 30/06. After a breakin box and a good cleaning it is a real tack driver and cycles well. The last 3 shots I fired last yr ( I havent fired it yet this yr ) were all touching at 150 yrs off my porch railing. And since it is gas operated there is very little kick especially for a 30/06 with an 18 in barrel. Also comes in a menagerie of other calibers inc 243 and 308.

post-205-0-54395100-1335512320_thumb.jpg

The guy wants a bolt; enough with the static on every other action type imaginable. I also wouldn't fret much about losing/forgetting a detachable magazine, a fella could leave his ammo at home to. Make a list, check it twice. In the unlikely event that a magazine fails you still have a single shot, if one does their part thart all that's needed.

They're all good guns. Check them out at a shop & I bet one will feel a little righter than the others.

I have an old rem. 700(30-06) and a new Ruger M-77 (7MM-08) both leftys. Their both good, but if I had to choose one I' say the 700 all the way. It's smoother, and a little more accurate.

I agree 100% with Lawdwaz on the box mag. thing. Why risk losing it in the woods or forgetting it all together?

T/Cs bolt guns can pop squirrel eyeballs out at 200 yds right out of the box. something alot of the older gun companies (rem 700, win 70etc) are now held to also. guaranteed 1 in or less moa @ 100yds, something i used to have to spend 100s for my rem 700s to do. im now a big fan of t/cs bolt guns. for what its worth, just my opinion, just my 2 cents, and all that jazz.

My personal favorite is my 1964 Remington 700 BDL in .308 with a 20" barrel.

The bolt action gun you need is the one that YOU like...all the manufacturers listed are excellent and it will come down to your preferences: Caliber, Wood vs Synthetic, Blind magazine vs Hinged trap door vs clip, short action or long action.

What ever you do, don't buy your bolt action gun to impress anyone else but yourself - LOL

• Like 1

I understand your wish to buy a bolt gun, as I did for my first deer rifle, but depending on where you hunt, you may want to consider a short brush gun. I hunt in the Adirondacks, no trails, no people, no houses, no-nothing but deep woods. My Winchester .30-.30 is my go to gun when I am tracking. :spiteful:

• Like 1

My personal favorite is my 1964 Remington 700 BDL in .308 with a 20" barrel.

The bolt action gun you need is the one that YOU like...all the manufacturers listed are excellent and it will come down to your preferences: Caliber, Wood vs Synthetic, Blind magazine vs Hinged trap door vs clip, short action or long action.

What ever you do, don't buy your bolt action gun to impress anyone else but yourself - LOL

That's a neat old classic 700. Leave that leeeever action home..............<grin>

That's a neat old classic 700. Leave that leeeever action home..............<grin>

Thanks - it was my Dad's gun and he bought it new in 1964/65, right when Remington first came out with the .308. $158 - new! It has a very short factory barrel and from where it goes into the receiver to the tip of the muzzle is 19". Serial number 66270! No letters or anything else.