finding public land?!!!

deerpassion

great, but of the 10 or 15 listed only two have descriptions, and they do NOT include hunting as a recreation....?!? and the rest do not have a description for the area, am i just gonna have to drive out there n read the posted sign at the entrance or parking area to see if i'm allowed to hunt it or call the DEC? really frustrating this crap isn't more structured...

be up there in july, but down here in florida, all public land has a map, regulations for each including dates, game legal to hunt, boundries, and even a state map with all the WMA's listed to get an idea of where they are so i can find them on google earth... i guess im just gonna AGAIN have to call the DEC and waist a bunch of there time and ask a bunch a questions that could have easily been answered online... anyone else feel this way about the system up there??? looking forward to hunting NY but dam they sure are makin it a hassle on a guy!!!! oh well gonna make that first harvest that much sweeter, never been afraid of a little hard work....

Best way I go about it is by going to the DEC Google Earth interactive page and download the "DEC Lands" file. 1st you need to install Google Earth. Then install the DEC Lands file. When you open up google earth, and you check to display the DEC Lands, it'll color highlight all the lands. Then I research each individually based on proximity.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/42978.html

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Best way I go about it is by going to the DEC Google Earth interactive page and download the "DEC Lands" file. 1st you need to install Google Earth. Then install the DEC Lands file. When you open up google earth, and you check to display the DEC Lands, it'll color highlight all the lands. Then I research each individually based on proximity.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/42978.html

well that helps a little, man, not very many opportunities to hunt in erie... lookin at min an hour drive to go to wyoming or gensseee... how's the luck on private land permission?... i read somewhere on here that some land owners have "ask permission" stickers or signs ,,, are they a rare sight or here n there?

well that helps a little, man, not very many opportunities to hunt in erie... lookin at min an hour drive to go to wyoming or gensseee... how's the luck on private land permission?... i read somewhere on here that some land owners have "ask permission" stickers or signs ,,, are they a rare sight or here n there?

Let's work on getting you some land...whether public or private. I've got some suggestions for you that we can talk about in private (I'm writing a book right now and don't want to air its content).

As you said, it is tough right now being in FL and the fact you up here in July.

I went to school in FL (USF) and lived in Virginia...the setup/use/organzation of public land is night and day with most northern/midwest states. I also think you will be in for bit of a shock with some of the public land opportunities up here (good and bad). There are ALOT of hunters in NY...especially in the bowhunting and orange army.

Edited by phade

alright well i found 3 or 4 different parcels of land to hunt, just wish they all weren't an hour away... specially if its mid to late season n have a bunch a snow on the roads to drive through... oh well, that's the price ya pay for living near buffalo, gotta work on gettin some private land.... anyone have any helpful thoughts, hints, or tips on that?

This is a general page regarding finding hunting land that I think will also help.

http://www.dec.ny.go...tdoor/7844.html

If you think NY is bad, you should check out NJ! They have pdf maps of state land that you can barely even read to figure out where the place is!

well now that i've been turned on to the interactive google map at least i can see some boudries and track a route to get there.... that is what i was having trouble with before is how to get there cause the descriptions don't really help by county, but i'll be aight... just hope i can claim residency so i can hunt this year n not have to pay 2 ta 3 hundred dollars for tags...

Yeah, instead of asking hunters; ask cyclists, skiers, hikers, There also vey popular with the homosexual community.. It seems there is also a website for unfaithful married people to have affairs - some of the meet up places (were "your spouse will never find you") has directions to WMAs......

Hunters asking where public hunting lands are; and these places are full of people doing other things....

Id use the interactive tool, and if there is a question as to if hunting is allowed.. Give your local DEC office a call... I've talked to a few officers in Region 7 and they are usually more than happy to let you know where you can and cant hunt, also they may know of other public lands around to give you a better starting point

• 3 months later...

I always just drove around my local area in the spring/summer and found state signs. Then just a walk in the woods and some scouting. Get yourself a cheap GPS if you don't have one. Mine was $100 at walmart.

What kind of gps is it I have been looking into buying one. And hows the hunting in Oneida county? I just moved back up here and i'm looking forward to do some hunting with my NY hunting buds, thanks.

Bill.

HuntOrBeHunted

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=etrex 10

This is the GPS I have. I bought mine at walmart couple years ago for around $100. I really don't use it in the woods anymore cause I know my way around. I keep mine on my boat and mark fishing spots and use it for a more accurate speedometer. Although it worked well for hunting, marking where I left the truck, stands, blood trails, things like that.

Edited by oneidacountyhunter