Liming

goosifer,

Lime is also baed on how deep you can get it down to.  If you can use a plow and get 6 inches down, you need more.  If you're only able to get a shallow till because of rocks on a set of lightweight discs, you need less lime.

Lime does 2 or 3 things.

IT increases pH, it adds calicuim, and it might add magnesium.  The pelletized lime I believe has more magnesium.   Deer grow really fast....  Much more than us.  I add a bit of pelletized each year to add to magnesium. 

We're not only making good food plots, we are also supply our animals with proper nutrients too.

I'd get the 10 tons........

Put the remaining 4 tons in future food plot areas or other key areas.

I fertilize and lime my mast trees, my berry bushes, and certain browse areas.  Especially the spots on the food plot edges.  It might be 1/2 or a 1/3 of what I do in a food plot, but I still make the area the best it can be.  I also have brushy corridors they like to travel much better than open forest floor canopy.   Food plots get deer on your land.  Making good bedding, travel, and winter browse feeding areas keep them on your property for more hours during the shooting day.

It's been hard for me to gage what a good acorn crop or a bad one is on my property since I've been feeding the oaks.  And I clearance any low value trees around the oaks too.   Hickories love it too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Cornell ag extension is who you should call. They will let you know what's close to you and what they have to offer. I searched and searched for specific fertilizer online through local farmers and I could have just placed a 5 minute phone call to avoid all that.

In Orange county it's Crop Production Services

While Cornell Coop has been helpful with the soil testing, they didn't give me any new leads on where I could get lime, unfortunately.

9 hours ago, growalot said:

That's not that much, 2000# per ton...We are recommended minimum of 3 tons per acre....that's why lime is added every single year I plant.  It's a 10 ton minimum to deliver and trying to keep it dry and spreading would be a huge head ache easier, to spread the extra $$$ for pelleted over many years... Then make sure you keep up with light maintenance spreading I average 800# per year on lime...Depending on new areas and maintenance...

Grow, mind telling me the name of the lime place that delivers? While I doubt they would deliver to Niagara county, maybe they would know someone who does. 

8 hours ago, Chromeslayer said:

WH Rhineharts in Middleport i beleive sells and delivers

They quoted me $4.95 for a 50# bag. I didn't ask them about delivery. I should inquire about that. I did ask if they gave a discount for bulk purchases and they said no.

Right now, I am looking at picking up at Tractor Supply for $3.99 for a 40# bag, plus I will use a coupon for discounted gift card to save about 10%.

6 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

goosifer,

Lime is also baed on how deep you can get it down to.  If you can use a plow and get 6 inches down, you need more.  If you're only able to get a shallow till because of rocks on a set of lightweight discs, you need less lime.

Lime does 2 or 3 things.

IT increases pH, it adds calicuim, and it might add magnesium.  The pelletized lime I believe has more magnesium.   Deer grow really fast....  Much more than us.  I add a bit of pelletized each year to add to magnesium. 

We're not only making good food plots, we are also supply our animals with proper nutrients too.

I'd get the 10 tons........

Put the remaining 4 tons in future food plot areas or other key areas.

I fertilize and lime my mast trees, my berry bushes, and certain browse areas.  Especially the spots on the food plot edges.  It might be 1/2 or a 1/3 of what I do in a food plot, but I still make the area the best it can be.  I also have brushy corridors they like to travel much better than open forest floor canopy.   Food plots get deer on your land.  Making good bedding, travel, and winter browse feeding areas keep them on your property for more hours during the shooting day.

It's been hard for me to gage what a good acorn crop or a bad one is on my property since I've been feeding the oaks.  And I clearance any low value trees around the oaks too.   Hickories love it too.

sailinghudson25, you are way ahead of me. I am at step 0.1. My wife has suggested I plant trees, but until I live close enough so I can tend to them more regularly, I am holding off. Lack of running water on the property has also been a concern of mine. Besides, I have huge apple orchards next door on two sides (but no oak trees that I know of)

Tractor Supply often has a sale late summer on lime and fertilizer.  Last year I bought all the 40 lb bags they had, I think for $2.49/lb.  This is still not a good option.  A couple of times I have been able to arrange for a local farmer to lime a couple of acres in the spring when he was liming adjacent ag fields.  It seems like liming is the most troublesome aspect of making food plots for many.

jperch

Well, I bought my lime. I paid $3.79 with tax per 40# bag delivered. I bought 280 bags (4 pallets). I got it from Lowesforpros.com, Lowe's website for contractors. They were running a 10% off coupon, plus 10% off if you buy more than 10 bags, plus 5% off for using my Lowe's commercial account. Best I could do. I will look to see if Tractor Supply has a late summer sale, so I can stock up for next year.

Thanks everyone, for your help.