Liming

If your property is accesible for a truck many places will even deliver and spread it for you on the cheap. Down at camp we have a truck come in and spread ag lime I cant recall the price but think it was 50 dollars a ton spread. Takes them about 5 minutes, neat thing is they had a lazer grid that measured the acreage to get the lime per acre spread right. At home I order 2 pallets of ag lime and they give a pretty good discount doing it that way. Funny thing was I ordered 2 skids as they told me it was a ton a skid and it ended up being 1 1/2 tons per skid. So I ended up with 3 tons for $120.

Edited by wdswtr

Since my property isn't the most accessible I've been spreading bags of crushed lime by hand. I didn't realize they had an attachment for the atv, but between the quad and tiller attachments I bought this year I'm tapped out. I think if one more box comes from cabelas my wife is going to lose it!!! lol

When I bought the property last year I had sent soil samples to whitetail institute and for the most part the ph wasn't that bad. So I've been adding about 2-3 bags of the crushed lime to each plot. I think my biggest plot is about a 1/4 acre or so and it seems to be working. All food plots came in nicely last year. Hopefully this year will be the same.

Everyone is talking about liming, shouldn't this of been done last fall?

Should be if you are planting in the spring, if you are doing a fall planting spreading lime in the spring will work. Anywhere from 3 to 6 months is a good figure for lime to start doing its thing. Dont expect good results if you are liming and planting all in the same time period.

Everyone is talking about liming, shouldn't this of been done last fall?

You certainly do want to give the lime time to raise the ph but there are ways to lime, fertilize and plant in the spring. I'll be doing just that in the next few weeks in a clover plot i have going right now. I'll be discing in the ag lime this week but knowing full well that it will be at least 6-9 months before it really effects the ph. So i'll be spraying Aggrand liquid lime into the soil bed at planting and again after the plants are growing. The liquid works much more quickly and actually acts as a buffer, fooling the plants and allowing them to absorb the nutrients in the soil better. The liquid will buy me time until the ag lime kicks in and does it's thing..

You can get grannualr in bulk. You might have to call multiple suppliers and see what they have to offer. If anyone does not know where a blend plant is PM me and i can tell you where any and all ag suppliers are in the WNY, CNY and Fingerlakes.

• 4 years later...

Thought I would revive an old thread.

Anyone have any recommendations for a source for bulk ag lime, either granular or pelletized, in Niagara county?

How far down should the soil be disturbed/disced/cultivated before spreading the lime?

Anyone have any experience applying liquid lime? Can it be doned with a regular boom sprayer? How much more costly is it?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, goosifer said:

For the heck of it, I am bumping this thread, specifically my post above. I am almost done brushhogging 3 acres of food plots and will soon need 6 tons of lime. Right now, my best option is 300 bags from Tractor Supply . . . .

Did you do a soil test and find you need that much Lime?

10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Did you do a soil test and find you need that much Lime?

yes. I have 7 plots in about 3.2 acres. ph levels in five samples varied from 5.7 to 6.2 (I lost the other two samples in the mess of my car, but figured I'd be close enough.) Cornell Coop recommended 3,200 to 4,000 pounds per acre. I will fine tune it a bit, giving more to the lower level plots and less to the higher level ones, but basically I'm at 6 tons. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, goosifer said:

yes. I have 7 plots in about 3.2 acres. ph levels in five samples varied from 5.7 to 6.2 (I lost the other two samples in the mess of my car, but figured I'd be close enough.) Cornell Coop recommended 3,200 to 4,000 pounds per acre. I will fine tune it a bit, giving more to the lower level plots and less to the higher level ones, but basically I'm at 6 tons. 

That is a pile of lime for sure. Fresh ground that has never been planted or worked before?

That's not that much, 2000# per ton...We are recommended minimum of 3 tons per acre....that's why lime is added every single year I plant.  It's a 10 ton minimum to deliver and trying to keep it dry and spreading would be a huge head ache easier, to spread the extra $$$ for pelleted over many years... Then make sure you keep up with light maintenance spreading I average 800# per year on lime...Depending on new areas and maintenance...

2 hours ago, goosifer said:

Cornell ag extension is who you should call. They will let you know what's close to you and what they have to offer. I searched and searched for specific fertilizer online through local farmers and I could have just placed a 5 minute phone call to avoid all that.

In Orange county it's Crop Production Services