heart

Paula

I have a vacuum-sealed beef heart and two tongues in the freezer.  Not sure what am going to do with them.  The heart is cut in half, which I suppose makes it easier to vacuum seal, without trapping air.  

We had enough deer hearts this year, so my wife didn’t pickle the beef tongues for me on Valentine’s Day, like she usually does.  Maybe I will try making a beef heart and tongue stew in the crockpot. Yum, doesn’t that sound good ?  Do you have a recipe for the stew ?

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I have a vacuum-sealed beef heart and two tongues in the freezer.  Not sure what am going to do with them.  The heart is cut in half, which I suppose makes it easier to vacuum seal, without trapping air.  

We had enough deer hearts this year, so my wife didn’t pickle the beef tongues for me on Valentine’s Day, like she usually does.  Maybe I will try making a beef heart and tongue stew in the crockpot. Yum, doesn’t that sound good ?  Do you have a recipe for the stew ?

I googled beef heart recipes. I was thinking tacos with the tongue I have. 

Have you tried deer tongue?

7 hours ago, Paula said:

I googled beef heart recipes. I was thinking tacos with the tongue I have. 

Have you tried deer tongue?

I cut one out, but I can’t recall how or if I cooked it.  They are very small, compared to beef tongue, and I can always get that.  I have quite a few friends and family, that raise beef cattle, and they always have plenty of spare “parts”. 

I am thawing out a big hunk of angus liver right now.  I hope it’s ok, because  my buddy froze it, the day it was killed.  I traded him a pack of venison blackstrap and a pack of grind for it.  It is best to age liver for 10-14 days, just like the rest of the carcass, to let rigor mortis pass.    

He gave me 3 vacuum sealed packages of liver, each about 3 pounds, and the split heart.  I will fry up about half of a package today, and save the rest of that package in the fridge until next weekend, if it is tough.  

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Never had beef heart but I did grind a venison heart with some other venison parts for grinding and it was good in the ground meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought about bringing it. I use it for fajitas

As it turns out, what I thought was a 3 pound pack of beef liver was actually a slab of beef heart.  I was all set up for liver, so I cooked it exactly as I do that:  Rolled in spiced flour (cayenne pepper, etc) and fried in olive oil, with onions, done medium rare.  

I made just half of it, because I thought it could benefit from a weeks aging in the fridge, so I will make the rest next weekend.  That’s the first time I have had non-pickled beef heart.  It was pretty damn good.  More flavor than beef  steak, but same texture.  It was so good, that I ate the whole pound and a half.  
18FE90FE-D00A-4E74-935C-5CA07FA0EE3F.thumb.jpeg.c36b3d84c85b1d4629eae13db394371b.jpeg

496D2443-DCA8-4C5C-8E10-4D390F3C7A2D.thumb.jpeg.172e960cbce80b021d5a55010842a396.jpeg

590FF5B5-EA82-46C9-BE2E-DEE7804D63E2.thumb.jpeg.74f5ab7d9c3ea477b58bf52dec5ff024.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Beef heart is delicious. Beef liver is also delicious, all beef seems alot like venison but a little more fat and salt in the meat.

I was really surprised how good it was.  I liked the flavor of that beef heart better than most of the beef steak that I have had (I like venison steak better than beef steak most of the time, and ground venison way better than ground beef all of the time).  I wonder if all the packs that he gave me were heart.  They butchered 4 or 5 angus steers, at his dad’s place down in a West Virginia, a couple weeks ago.  

I really like pickled deer heart, but I might have to try doing one or two this way in the fall.  If they open up crossbow for 55 plus on October 1, keep the September early antlerless gun season, and the Holiday ML season, then I should have a great shot at filling all (7) of my tags.  That would give me a few extra hearts to experiment with. 

• Like 1