Upgraded my Hunting photography/filming setup

josephmrtn

Sweet- now send that Canon back and get yourself a real camera like a Nikon! :D

Have fun with the new rig Joe. You'll learn everything you need to know the more you shoot it under a variety of conditions.

I like shooting in aperture priority mode for most of my shots because it's the easiest for me to control, and I let the camera figure out the shutter speed with the available light.

Check out some photography forums online to get familiar with all the settings and what they do.

It was real frustrating for me in the beginning and I missed a lot of shots I wish I could do over again. Don't get discouraged and stick with it.

I'd rather carry a camera to the woods any day over my gun or bow now.

• Like 3

I have a couple photographer friends who do semi-professional work on the side... They said they are willing to help me out and gimme some tips an pointers on using the camera

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

I vaguely and I mean VAGUELY remember a guy (actually a very nice young lad) from the Great White North with the same handle, that be you Joe?

How have you been?  I bet you just HAD to make an appearance here real quick just before the prizes are handed out for the WINNER of the Youth Hunting contest.................... :)

All fun aside, how have you been?

Congrats on the new rig, looking forward to being inundated with "wooly-ish" pics shortly!!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

Here's a little simple tip not many people are aware of.

If your camera allows it, reprogram the buttons so that your focus button is different from your shoot button.  Pretty much all cameras come preset so that the shoot button and the focus button are the same exact button.  You press the button down half way to focus and press it down fully to take the picture.

I separate them so that I can focus on a subject before hand.  After that, any time I press the button, it shoots instantly without any split second wasted on refocusing.  Very important in sports and action photography.

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase! Today's digital cams (DSLR's) are truly amazing. You can essentially practice for free once you get past the initial investment, and practice is a huge part of any photography. I'm only about 6 months into the DSLR world myself, but the 10,000 or so frames I've shot in that time would never have been shot with film, entirely due to cost. I think I'm getting better with my gear, but I still suck at the wildlife stuff. Since it doesn't cost me anything but time, I'll keep practicing. Everything I've missed has been mostly my fault.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing some of your shots!

• Like 1

Got a question guys... What do ya'll do as far as cameras and the rain? i hunt in some pretty heavy downpours sometimes and im wondering if its possible to film in that weather without possibly trashing several hundred dollars worth of video equipment? any tips or tricks?

Got a question guys... What do ya'll do as far as cameras and the rain? i hunt in some pretty heavy downpours sometimes and im wondering if its possible to film in that weather without possibly trashing several hundred dollars worth of video equipment? any tips or tricks?

I'm sure other, more experienced folks will chime in but I wouldn't do it with my G12 or my 870IS.  Now I will say that I've used my cameras in the rain but only be for a very important shot.  They certainly aren't waterproof but they can stand a little moisture......................

Wait till the sun shines bright!!

• Like 1

I use a Ziploc for my video recorder in bad weather. Looking forward to you pics!!!

You can buy something like this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583456-REG/OP_TECH_USA_9001142_RAINSLEEVE_FLASH_Pack_of.html

Or you can rig your own like NFA-ADK said buy putting our camera in a gallon sized zip lock bag with your hand going in through the opening. Then you cut a hole on the other end, fit your lens though it and then put a rubber band on the lens to close the hole so water won't get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy something like this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583456-REG/OP_TECH_USA_9001142_RAINSLEEVE_FLASH_Pack_of.html

Or you can rig your own like NFA-ADK said buy putting our camera in a gallon sized zip lock bag with your hand going in through the opening. Then you cut a hole on the other end, fit your lens though it and then put a rubber band on the lens to close the hole so water won't get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye they also have those nylon ones.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602711-REG/Vortex_Media_P_SJ_M_B_Pro_SLR_Storm_Jacket.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Few more shots from this eve... any tips on taking pics of the snow? I'd use a slower shutter speed except that its dark outside and even my slave flash cant help it a ton,

Camera Model Name Canon EOS REBEL T5i

Shooting Date/Time 12/31/2014 6:45:40 PM
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/30
Av (Aperture Value) 10.0
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 6400
Image Size 5184x3456

This is how it was set for that snow shot

post-2634-0-68705300-1420092848_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-06191400-1420092891_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-77097900-1420092930_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-83960600-1420092965_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-14932000-1420093003_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-97170900-1420093045_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-80496800-1420093086_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-44469800-1420093166_thumb.jp

Get a remote trigger release.  Set your camera on a tripod or a ledge if you don't have a tripod.  Don't use a flash at all and just slow down your shutter speed to something like 5 or 10 seconds.  Will can some interesting effects with the falling snow.

http://www.amazon.com/Shutter-Release-40D-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001G9TYHE

The gorillapod is a fun and useful tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GorillaPod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B000KFRSG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420093800&sr=8-2&keywords=joby+gorillapod+zoom