Below are some photos from the past couple of weeks of this winter's Appalachian Eagle Project in New York. These images are from sites in Delaware and Otsego Counties that operate under my license to possess deer carcasses. For more information visit http://www.appalachianeagles.org/. To read my article on Golden Eagles in NYS, go tohttp://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/99834.html

There are 10 Bald Eagles in the last photo. I was going to have you guess but it is too small to see detail. That's a napping bobcat in the 5th photo.

post-5300-0-43121300-1420570872_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-83004500-1420570882_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-30750500-1420570893_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-98837800-1420570906_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-19050400-1420570924_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-46691900-1420570939_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-63811900-1420570980_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-18664300-1420571184_thumb.jp

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

We use mostly Moultries because we have been able to buy them wholesale. The newer ones are a lot easier to use that the old I series. I have a bunch of D444s in service. I like them. They have much better photo quality than the old D series. However, they are all cheap consumer electronics.

Some people are using Bushnells. They take better quality photos. I know they have had a few problems but they seem more reliable. The Bushnells use AAs so we need to use lithium batteries in the winter. One person is using a Wildgame Innovations. He has had problems with internal fogging.

The Moultries get really quirky in this cold. Dates and times change. Settings change.

One of the problems with batteries and cold is the number of photos we get. I got 583 last Friday with a one minute delay. I went through them all because I wanted an exact count of 14 individual Bald Eagles for the Great Backyard Bird Count - which was this past weekend. It is the 50-70 ravens that set off the camera every minute from before dawn until after sunset. They come and go caching food all day. The more flash photos, the quicker the batteries die. The eagles have been showing up at 6:30 AM and not leaving some days until 5:30 PM. The early and late photos use the flash.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm probably going to gran another camera this year since one of mine went belly up last fall. 

I still have two out but I'd imagine they are close to dead battery wise by now.  I'll have to strap on the snowshoes to retrieve them this weekend, if I can muster up the energy.  :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

I saw a pair of bald eagles on grand island last week, they are awesome. I also saw a dark bird that I thought was maybe an immature bald eagle on the Niagara River, definitely wasn't a buzzard or osprey

The dark bird was almost certainly an immature Bald Eagle. The only similar looking bird would be a Golden Eagle - and they don't usually hang out near open water. They will be found skirting the south side of Lake Ontario during the spring migration because they don't like to fly over water - no lift. Occasionally they will be seen with Bald Eagles feeding on the remains of deer on the ice of lakes. Goldens are upland birds. Balds are sea eagles. Our camera traps for goldens are set up at the highest elevations we can easily access.

I'd watch a live cam on that for hours. 

Thanks for sharing.

We've tried to figure out how to set one up. We cannot get the necessary upload speeds in these rural areas. I do have about 6 hours of raven and eagle chatter that I edited down to the best 6 minutes. I hope to have that MP3 posted on youtube soon. When it happens, I will provide a link. Ravens make some bizarre noises. If you have never heard a Bald Eagle, they sound like other seabirds - more like a gull than anything you hear in a movie.

• Like 1

The dark bird was almost certainly an immature Bald Eagle. The only similar looking bird would be a Golden Eagle - and they don't usually hang out near open water. They will be found skirting the south side of Lake Ontario during the spring migration because they don't like to fly over water - no lift. Occasionally they will be seen with Bald Eagles feeding on the remains of deer on the ice of lakes. Goldens are upland birds. Balds are sea eagles. Our camera traps for goldens are set up at the highest elevations we can easily access.

cool, thanks for the education