Curmudgeon

Paula

I just happen to come across this while reading last night

Curmudgeon definition:

"A Curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind....just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide thier vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor. They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. Nature, having failed to equip them with a serviceable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.

Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.

Perhaps Curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way the messenger is blamed for the message. They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humor."

• Like 3

I just happen to come across this while reading last night

Curmudgeon definition:

"A Curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind....just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide thier vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor. They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. Nature, having failed to equip them with a serviceable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.

Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.

Perhaps Curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way the messenger is blamed for the message. They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humor."

All of this is true, but they also seem to lack any ability to make things better.

I asked my 25 year old son if he knows what a Curmudgeon is.  

His reply, "Angry Douche".  LOL!

;)

• Like 1

Merriam-Webster is a bit more factual and concise in it's definition.

"a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains"

Dictionary.com seems to agree

a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.

Paula, where did you get your's from?

I'd hope we all had a little curmudgeon in us.

My father is a self proclaimed curmudgeon. That definition fits him well. He would not dispute it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like it. Maybe I'm a little Crumbcruncher too.

Guys - We can always use more curmudgeons. However, be warned, if you put on the curmudgeon mantle, you are bound to annoy some people. 

VJP - Your son sounds very eloquent. Was he home schooled?

VJP - Your son sounds very eloquent. Was he home schooled?

Nope.  Just calls them as he sees them and prefers not to use a lot of words when fewer will suffice.

He's an engineer working on his Masters.  Most youth his age wouldn't even know what it meant, like those who went to public school.

At the ripe age of 31 I see myself acting and thinking more and more like him every day. Scary :help:

Belo -

Eccentricity comes first. You probably have that covered. Being curmudgeonly comes next, with age. You are on your way.

It helps to be a Yankee and a curmudgeon. My daughter's partner is from the south. He doesn't get it. He thinks everyone should be polite - at least on the surface. My son lives in France. They all get it. Some call the French arrogant and badly mannered. I think they are normal. They have a reputation for disliking Americans but they all seem to like me. They make fun of our last name because it is a "four letter word" in French. They think the dumb Americans don't know what it is but we just laugh with them.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1

Yet the French are also a bunch of ungrateful cowardly pussies. So there's that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that's not nice, but it does remind me of one of my favorite Ted Nugent quotes..............

Ted Nugent, a heavy metal guitar legend and devoted (bow) hunter, was being interviewed by a French journalist. Eventually, the conversation turned to his love of outdoor pursuits. The journalist asked, "What do you think the last thought is in the head of a deer before you shoot it? Is it, "Are you my friend?" or maybe "Are you the one who killed my brother?" 

Nugent replied, "They aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, What am I going to eat next? Who am I going to screw next? and, Can I run fast enough to get away? They are very much like the French in that."

The French contribution to our Revolutionary War was more finance than fighting. Just an FYI

VJP is right!

Belo - Your comments seem out of character.

Speaking to the people who lived through WWII, you would be surprised at how fondly they feel towards Americans and how grateful they are. The next time I speak to my granddaughters, I'll ask them how they feel about Americans. I'll let you know.