Sweet 16 re-issue

Doewhacker

Who's in for the rebooted Sweet 16?

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/a5/a5-sweet-sixteen.html

The part that caught my eye was, Weight 5 lbs 12 oz, but I ain't interested in a 16g. Now if Browning came out with a light weight 20 auto I might be interested as I already have the new A-5 in the standard 12g with a 28 inch barrel.

This should further ruin the market for guys trying to sell used A-5's. Great for collectors though.

I love the old humpbacks. I never shot one that I did not shoot well with.

The only one I have currently is a 1950s vintage Light Twenty. Great little shotgun, but at modified, it's choked a little tight for upland shooting. Older fixed choked Brownings tend to shoot tighter than marked, so it's closer to an improved modified.OK for pheasants, but tighter than I like for grouse, woodcock and bunny rabbits.

The new sweet 16 looks like a sweetheart, but I would much prefer a 26" tube to a 28".. Two inches doesn't sound like much, but it makes for a much better swinging upland gun, IMHO..

• Like 1

The short answer is Japan, here is the long form curtesy the Internet.

John Browning presented his design (which he called his best achievement)[3] to Winchester, where he had sold most of his previous designs. When Winchester refused his terms, Browning went to Remington. Tragically, the president of Remington died of a heart attack as Browning waited to offer them the gun. This forced Browning to look overseas to produce the shotgun. It was manufactured by FN (a company that had already produced Browning-designed pistols) starting in 1902. Browning would later license the design to Remington, who produced it as their Model 11 (1941–1948). The Remington Model 11 was the first auto-loading shotgun made in the USA. Savage Arms also licensed the design from Browning and produced it as their model 720 from 1930 to 1949, and their model 745 with an alloy receiver and two-shot magazine from 1941 to 1949. Browning's long-recoil design itself served as the operating system for subsequent Remington (11-48), Savage (755, 775) and Franchi (AL-48) models.[3]

Production of the Auto-5 in Belgium continued until the start of World War II, when Browning moved production to Remington Arms in the United States. The Auto-5 was produced by Remington alongside the Model 11 until FN could resume making the gun after the war.[4] Unlike the Remington Model 11, the Remington-produced Browning shotguns had magazine cutoffs. Some 850,000 Remington Model 11 shotguns were produced before production ended in 1947. In 1952, production of Browning models returned to FN, where it continued until the end. However, the majority of production moved to the Japanese company Miroku in 1975. Finally, in 1998, manufacture of A-5s ceased except for a few commemorative models created at FN in 1999. By that time, it was well established as the second-best-selling auto-loading shotgun in U.S. history, after the Remington 1100.[3]

In 2014 Browning released the A5, a recoil-operated shotgun with external resemblance to the Auto 5, which is being manufactured by Miroku in Japan.

PS a few Browning models are made in Utah.

https://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=90

Edited by Doewhacker

I agree, my 20ga Benelli has a 26" barrel and it is a shear delight to shoot!

I checked out a light weight Benelli 28ga, not that long ago…Ridiculous !!! It was like holding a Daisy Red Rider. If I still hunted rabbits I would have bought it……..I still might.

I love the old humpbacks. I never shot one that I did not shoot well with.

The only one I have currently is a 1950s vintage Light Twenty. Great little shotgun, but at modified, it's choked a little tight for upland shooting. Older fixed choked Brownings tend to shoot tighter than marked, so it's closer to an improved modified.OK for pheasants, but tighter than I like for grouse, woodcock and bunny rabbits.

The new sweet 16 looks like a sweetheart, but I would much prefer a 26" tube to a 28".. Two inches doesn't sound like much, but it makes for a much better swinging upland gun, IMHO..

It is available in 26, mine sports the 28 and I have grown fond of it. I reversed the safety (because I'm a lefty) and it is much better for me.

It is available in 26, mine sports the 28 and I have grown fond of it. I reversed the safety (because I'm a lefty) and it is much better for me.

A lefty ?...Sorry, Doe.....Never realized you were handicapped...

Do you and Lawdwaz belong to the same support group ?

I checked out a light weight Benelli 28ga, not that long ago…Ridiculous !!! It was like holding a Daisy Red Rider. If I still hunted rabbits I would have bought it……..I still might.

I had a DeHann S-2 in 28ga. 5# 4oz W/28" barrels.

Winchester Super-X 28 ga loads push 1 oz of shot at 1205 fps. That's only 15 fps off the high brass 20 ga loads. The 28 ga Suoer-X with #6s were deadly on late season Ringnecks.

The gun felt like carrying a broom stick & with the 28" barrels it balanced & swung superbly. I broke 23/25 at skeet the very 1st round I shot with it.

024.jpg

026.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Very sweet, Wildcat ...Mechanical trigger or selective ?

Selective but not recoil operated. "Mechanical selective".

Only drawback with that was the fact that once the safety was off, the selected barrel could not be changed W/O putting the safety in the "on" position.

The plus side was that, unlike recoil operated selective triggers, if a dud failed to go off, the other barrel was ready.

The DeHanns were the mechanical twin to the Cz doubles being marketed today albeit at a higher level of finish with many custom options not available W/the Cz offerings.

Dehann shotguns were imported way before Cz slid in & took the market away from them. Both were made by HUGLU in Turkey, perhaps the finest arms making COOP in Turkey.

I'm not in the habit of naming guns, but I called that sweet little number Caterine Zeta Jones.

Catherine%20Zeta%20Jones_zps9k2m9kkl.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

That's cause you old fellas use them as crutches when hobbling through the field. Those stocks are good for that. haha

Yeah I put CORKS in the muzzles to keep the dirt out of them...

Reminds me of the old joke, why do cavemen drag their women by the hair ?

Cuz if they drag them by the heels, they fill up with dirt...

• Like 3

For $1700.00 , I'd shop around for an original Browning Sweet 16.

I'm betting you could get a real nice original sweet 16 for MUCH less than $1700..Ib fact I know a guy who has a minty one and I'll bet if I offered him $1000 for it right now he'd about break his arm grabbing the money.