What reticle to choose?

Marion

So I have decided I need to obviously get a new scope for my new 300wby ultra lightweight and I have already decided on the swarovski z5 3.5x18 my biggest issue now is what reticle do I really want. I first thought I wanted the BRH but now think I might be better off with a 4W. The biggest thing I liked was multiple aim points and windages. This rifle will be going out with me to Wyoming in October and then used out west every few years as well as hopefully on the east coast for regular deer season. My question is what is everyone's opinions on reticle and why they have the choice they do. Also would like to keep it to within the styles that are available in the z5. Thank you all for your input.

You Can't Beat My Meat!

I don't know if Swarovski does it but I've always wanted a scope with MOA marks off center cross hair for elevation and windage. Nightforce and some other high end scopes have it as an option.

I the BRH has those Christmas tree marks but the issue I think I have is the need to keep it in a specific zoom level for the lines to shoot. So if you have it at 10x sighted in at 100 zero then if you go to 18x the marks are gonna be all out of whack

You Can't Beat My Meat!

I agree with those above.  I have the Swarovski 3.5-18 with the BRH  on my .204 ruger tikka  rifle and it works ok for that and off the bench target shooting.

But for any type of big game hunting, I believe it would be confusing.  There are a lot of marks and they are heavy, easily misused in the heat of the moment.  It is very cluttered and obscures a lot of the target.

I often find it more trouble  than it's worth when coyote hunting as well.  It's useless for fast moving targets.

The 4W reticle is a better choice in my opinion.

• Like 4

with any reticles with markings on that focal plane you'll have changes based on power/zoom setting.  slight error but if you go 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 of full power your changes can be figured out easy enough.  at 9x versus 18x you'll be holding double your values for markings.  way better to dial for elevation and hold for windage versus dial for windage.  wind constantly changes so you can make corrections on the fly by holding with reticle markings.

Jerkman, the best reticle to use is the one that has your head sighted in it.

That isn't very nice. I have never once made a threat to anyone on here, yet you constantly love to threaten others. Clearly you are no good and should be banned.

You Can't Beat My Meat!

• Like 2

Sensitive huh? Perhaps that's what you get for referring to me as being retarded in another post.

I'm not sensitive, and I merely called you a buffoon, not retarded. There is a diffence there. With more education you may understand that diffence.

You Can't Beat My Meat!

• Like 1

I agree with those above.  I have the Swarovski 3.5-18 with the BRH  on my .204 ruger tikka  rifle and it works ok for that and off the bench target shooting.

But for any type of big game hunting, I believe it would be confusing.  There are a lot of marks and they are heavy, easily misused in the heat of the moment.  It is very cluttered and obscures a lot of the target.

I often find it more trouble  than it's worth when coyote hunting as well.  It's useless for fast moving targets.

The 4W reticle is a better choice in my opinion.

For big game one can use a simple duplex reticle& calculate range by the average size of the animal & the space between the heavy posts. A simpler version of the 4-W theory I think.

• Like 2

Dom that is a good question! Would it have any role? I would imagine that it should be similar to a person that doesn't use corrective lenses but I'm interested to hear what everyone else might have to say.

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Jerkman It is a great?I wear/use glasses and Do not hunt with scopes I would think if wearing glasses/corrective lenses the power of recticle needed would be less or could be more.

Jerkman It is a great?I wear/use glasses and Do not hunt with scopes I would think if wearing glasses/corrective lenses the power of recticle needed would be less or could be more.

The power does not change. All that changes is the eyepiece focus which is adjustable.

• Like 1

An added question to the reticle?What role does wearing using Eye glasses play when choosing the correct power of lenses of a scope.

None.

But like any lense, the cleaner and scratch free the clearer the site picture.

Its like adding see through crappy plastic covers on a scope and expecting to see the same image quality. Its 2 more surfaces that degrade the image (Actually 4 with both sides)

The power does not change. All that changes is the eyepiece focus which is adjustable.

Thank's for the information.It would be a great invention for opticians to come up with a pair of shooting sporting glasses