King Buck controversy is out of control.

erussell

Water dispersement system. May the buck that grows the most bone win..

I think there is an overall concensus that this would be the best method for getting total mass of antler... BUT... there is not yet a practical way to score animals this way... given the number of animals that are scored each year across the country and the world. the 1000's of measures would have to each have the same exact displacement "machine" to make sure all things are done fairly.. way to expensive for a volunteer organization.

• Like 1

I looked at the rack many times and would have it scored as they did. Typical with one abnormal point making it a deduction and removing it from world record contention. (I am not a scorer...) Still a hell of a buck, did he really sell it? WT I could never sell any of my deer, it is too personal and brings back memories every time I come in the front door!!! Did he sell it with the intention of getting it back when the contraversy is over???

Thanks for your insight Joe your knowledge and experiance is highly valued and greatly appreciated!

I think he sold it for the money.. which was a pretty hefty sum I hear... the fella that bought it I think has been trying to cash in on the possible world record thing and has been taking it all over trying to get it re-scored... I have to wonder about a guy that sells a buck like that.. world record or not.. that buck is WORLD CLASS and probably once in a lifetime for him. And, for all intent and purposes, the contraversy is over.. at least as far as Boone & Crockett is concerned.

Edited by nyantler

Well as dispicable as it might seem on the surface, you never know about someones life circumstances or motivations about selling a buck. Thats why i would never say i would "never" sell a buck. And i'm not sure i would even look badly on the practice. I've heard in alot of cases where they have a replica made and sell the original. In this case, i'm sure the rack went for many hundreds of thousands if not millions being that it was thought to maybe be a new world record. Would i sell a buck if i knew it would ensure my kids go to college. You bet. Would i sell a buck so that my family could live in a safe environment. You bet. If i was one of the millions of unemployed people in this country and was under a pile of debt and maybe gonna loose my home. You bet. Luckily none of these things apply in my life but everyones life is different and the sale of a rack does not always make you a scumbag in my opinion. Heck, half the hunters in this country throw the horns in the garbage and only eat the meat. Is that somehow more respectful to the animals we love to hunt.. Idk

• Like 1

I think he could have made the same kind of money if he'd kept the buck... it's already gotten pretty famous as one of the top world class bucks... I'm sure he could make money with sponsorships and showings. But maybe the lump sum was just easier. who knows?

I would sell my guns, bows, truck, and both boats before I even thought about selling my buck if I was in desparate need of money. I can understand the need if it is warrented due to unsurmountable bills.

I hunt for the enjoyment of nature and the outdoors, due to the fact that I do not get to do this as often as I would like, the mounts I have bring me into the relm of alternate reality of being in the woods... Making each mount a special time in my life that I can look back on and reminice about the good old days. To sell them to pay for the bills or kids school or what ever was needed would be my last option after selling everything else I owned... Except for the house, I think...

Like some have said if I was in desparate need I would do the same thing, does not make him a bad person... I personaly could not do this unless it was an excessive amount that would insure I could retire... To each his own I guese... Each person puts a value on a object, not sure I could price tag my deer... Some things are just priceless...