Homemade fieldpoint target

Maybe i'm getting cheap. Maybe it's the obama economy. Maybe i'm just getting smart. Anyway, i got tired of buying field point targets and i've been wanting to make a target like the ones in the archery shops where they are made using fibrous materials that you can pull out with two fingers. In prep for this glorious target i have invisioned building, i've been saving old stuffed animals, dog beds and thinsulate type insulation. Well today i had an idea and picked up a suitcase from goodwill for 6.99 and filled it with my stuffing. It worked like a charm.

post-1355-0-80180300-1341350278_thumb.jp

post-1355-0-35014100-1341350307_thumb.jp

Good idea Dave but you would be surprised how many bags like this (usually smaller) get tossed out during Garbage Pick Up . I have not tried the luggage for a target but I see a lot of the suitcases by the garbage cans when I am installing / removing Real Estate signs .

I wasn't really planning on buying one at good will but it was one of those light-bulb moments and i had to see if it would work right then. So i payed the $6.99 on the way to the range. Now i'll be on the lookout for free-bees and continue to pick up stuffed animals where ever i can. I get more and more Red Neck the older i get. And Dang proud of it. LOL If i could only find a use for this washing machine sitting on my porch. ??

If i could only find a use for this washing machine sitting on my porch. ??

Tell her to get back in the kitchen and get to work on the dishes before she takes a break,lol

Great idea with the suitcase!

• Like 2

Years ago we would stuff a burlap bag with mattress material. It worked great and would last quite a while.

I would then hang a few in the woods and "rove" my way through the woods, it even sounded like a perfect lung shot when you plunked one in the sweet spot!!

Take a bird seed bag and put all of your old plastic bags in it then sew it up and you have a great little target.

I've made these as well and your right, they do a good job stopping arrows but i've been looking to find something other then burlap or seed bags. If you leave them out in the elements, the plastic ones can wear out pretty fast. Not saying this case is the ultimate answer but i think it will not break down like burlap. Edited by dave6x6

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was too hot out today to do anything productive so in true "red-neck" form, i decided to detail my home-made field point target. Originally just had stickers or duck tape to aim at but this is much better. LOL. Got a bunch of fiber fill and gonna start a second target but only suitcase i came up with so far is a flower print thing. That's not going to work...

post-1355-0-62962600-1342555993_thumb.jp

post-1355-0-59696400-1342556016_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice!!!

Being poor and cheap, :sarcastic: I usually just get a big cardboard box and stuff it full of card board in vertical layers with a few old blankets in the back for a buffer. Usually good for 100 or more shots with field point and 50 or less shots with practice broadheads before I have to re-arange the card board or add new. I get the life size printed poster like targets of deer and tape them to the box. Broadheads tend to be a pain sometimes as you have to seperate the layers of vertical cardboard and remove the broadhead from the arrow before pulling your arrow out. But it gives you a breather in between shots and its cheap and free. And when your done with it it can be tossed on the burn pile and makes a nice bonfire.

Edited by erussell