Ground up some more venison

dbHunterNY

So with the kids we use plain nothing added ground venison a lot for many easy quick meals that the kids 2 and 7 yrs old approve of. I have a bacon mix we still have some of but I planned accordingly when I shot my KY buck this past season. I had them put as much as they could into roasts and "steak" so I could trim and grind it to my liking later. So just ground up and vac sealed another 14lbs. Crazy if I had to buy lean ground in the store, how much it'd cost! Been busy but figured I'd share. If you don't process your own you're missing out. Even use the equipment to do stuff on sale that's not wild game, not that there's much red meat on sale anymore.

FB_IMG_1649175800845.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

No problems with thawing and refreezing?
It's fine. Ideally I only freeze once. Every time you thaw and refreeze you're pulling moisture out of it so you shouldn't do it anymore than refreshing once. It also thawed in fridge. Don't let it thaw on counter or get above 40. I have ice pack sleeve that goes around the auger neck on the grinder to keep it cold, everywhere but the very end by the motor drive. Grind the meat frosty but not frozen hard.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I usually grind everything but the tenderloins, back straps, and neck roasts on all deer that are 2-1/2 or older.  It’s been a few years since I killed a 1-1/2, but I make some roasts from the hind quarters of those .

I never add pork or beef fat to the grind, because that adversely effects the taste in proportion to how long it is kept in the freezer (fat is an oil that does not freeze).  

There is so much that can be done with straight ground venison.  Tacos are our kids favorite, but I like stuffed cabbage best.  We all like spaghetti with meat sauce.  Goulash, lasagna, stuffed peppers, meatloaf, chile, and sloppy Joe’s are all great with it.  

On rare occasion, when I make burgers on the grill, I mix some raw egg with the grind as a binder and form the patties a few hours before grilling.  They hold together very well that way.  

I don’t make any grind from 6 month old deer and we were blessed with two of those over the last year (the one from New Year’s Day would be closest to 7 months and the one from September would be closer to 5 months).  There is no reason to grind something, that even the lesser cuts of, is so tender that it will melt in your mouth without chewing.   I chunk up the “scraps” for soup/stew meat and make as many small roasts as possible.

Last Thanksgiving was my all time favorite, thanks to a turkey stuffed with one of those 5 month old roasts.  I did not have to eat any of that “dry cardboard” tasting bird like usual, and that little roast was done perfect all the way thru at 165 degrees F.  I finally found a good use for a turkey.  

Edited by wolc123

You are a child, every post is the same crap. No one cares how old the deer are you shoot. You just want drama. It's funny you talk about how you like to fill the freezer but so proud to show that average buck you claim is 3.5+. I tried to avoid political posts but now this back and forth is ruining the regular hunting posts. You bums should grow up.