Fly selection

rachunter

44 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I used to fly fish and an old timer once told me, you want to match the hatch....and when that does not work you don't!

I try to match but some times as much as matching hatch and feeding cadence there can be to many bugs on the water. Blizzard hatches can suck .  I try to go up 2 sizes  just of a difference in profile . Skitter  a fly sometimes works as well as pulling the fly under surface. When all else fails I toss a big stimulator .

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to clog up the live thread with questions,so i'll ask them here. i want to order a few emerger flies to try out but don't know what's sizes or types.I trying to cut back on the trail and error way it just leads to a shelf full of unwanted crap.Also I've been watching a lot of New fly fisher videos this morning the guy said feeding trout sit in front of rocks? I thought it was the opposite. I'm heading out this afternoon to try for browns 

• Like 1

I didn't want to clog up the live thread with questions,so i'll ask them here. i want to order a few emerger flies to try out but don't know what's sizes or types.I trying to cut back on the trail and error way it just leads to a shelf full of unwanted crap.Also I've been watching a lot of New fly fisher videos this morning the guy said feeding trout sit in front of rocks? I thought it was the opposite. I'm heading out this afternoon to try for browns 

Theres a nice hydraulic in front of rocks, the water "stops"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

How is trout fishing in this heat morning/afternoon bite? I’m heading out somewhere I’m just starting to think bass instead. 
The water should still be pretty cool yet. I would think the bite would still be ok. Esp towards evening. And this warmth should trigger some hatches.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warm air tems aren't bad its bright sun or warm water. Water temps too high 70 degrees or higher are bad . You will kill fish . Bright sun puts the fish deep or in broken water . Shade  spots. As it warms up hatches compress and will happen just before or after dark .

On a side note there was sulphurs hatching last evening here in Chemung county.

• Like 2

Warm air tems aren't bad its bright sun or warm water. Water temps too high 70 degrees or higher are bad . You will kill fish . Bright sun puts the fish deep or in broken water . Shade  spots. As it warms up hatches compress and will happen just before or after dark .
On a side note there was sulphurs hatching last evening here in Chemung county.

They’ve been hatching up here too. There butterscotch colored with three long tails I was doing good with an Adam fly.
I think I’ll leave the trout alone for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My rule of thumb is 65 degrees  or higher i switch  up to bass or muskie  fishing . Hate to get into a large brown play it out and  revive it only to see it  laying on its side  a few minutes later. I have killed  one trout on accident in 15 years or so.  My sister inlaw loves them so it didn't go to waste . 

• Like 2

https://www.orvis.com/cdc-mayfly-emerger/801E.html

I love these. CDC is magical

I got the emergers today. Do you fish these solo or with a dry/wet fly. I’m hooked on the whole dry dropper to start off the adjust to what gets hit the most.
d3d7b8ad8a901aa6d9b4ccbc2da7eafc.jpg
The little lone fly on the left is a Dunn it’s smaller then I thought but looks like the flys I keep seeing.

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

I got the emergers today. Do you fish these solo or with a dry/wet fly. I’m hooked on the whole dry dropper to start off the adjust to what gets hit the most.
d3d7b8ad8a901aa6d9b4ccbc2da7eafc.jpg
The little lone fly on the left is a Dunn it’s smaller then I thought but looks like the flys I keep seeing.

Solo, they wont support a dropper

17 hours ago, crappyice said:

I love the tube of beads to dry off flies that have been smashed or sunken too many times
Something similar to this product:

https://perfectflystore.com/product/loon-easy-dry-fly-floatant/

After it gets all fluffed up, I’ll reapply gel

Also, dont sleep on squeezing it in a piece of paper towel

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This video is worthwhile just for the rises!

I watched that the other day.I'm picking up some good info from those videos and Mad river outfitters and of course asking questions on here.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:15 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Also, dont sleep on squeezing it in a piece of paper towel

I use fly magic floatation. Putting it just on the wing . Dry with an amadou patch .Then shake and bake in a decicant. Good to go until next fish.

• Like 1