Need bow suggestions...

blackradio

You are doing research, great. But it seems to be mostly price research. Once you find the bows in your price range, definitely go shoot all of them...ALL OF THEM! I shot 9 different bows before buying my DIamond. More expensive ones and much, much cheaper ones. Price isn't everything. Look at it this way, if you buy a $700 bow and shoot it for 10 years, it only costs you $70 per year... B) . But let's be honest, who shoots the same bow for 10 years now days? Honestly though, shoot a lot of different bows, light, heavy, short, tall, thick, thin, fast, slow, etc. And go to different archey shops, they all have different opinions. Keep us updated.

So fellas, I got to handle a few bows yesterday at Dick's Sporting Goods. I handled a Diamond package, can't remember the model but it was $550, a PSE Brute x and a Bear Encounter. The PSE and Bear felt better than the Diamond and I didn't like the accessories on the Diamond package. I really like how the Brute X felt and looked and the salesman raved about them. I've read a ton of reviews and it seems the Brute X is the best in my price range. The package is $500 but I found a cheaper dealer on ebay for $450 shipped, and they'll set your desired weight and length before shipping so I think I may buy it there (in skullworks camo) and spend the other $50 on arrows and tips and possibly a case if I can find one.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to SHOOT a bow before you buy it. I dont mean the exact bow you buy, just the exact model. The way something feels when you are holding it in the store, undrawn or drawn, is not the same as actually shooting.

I would also stay away from the big box stores unless they have a range where you can shoot before you buy.

I am only telling you this stuff to try and help you not to make the same mistake I made, which did nothing but cost me a bunch of money, time and stress in the end.

I shoot a 29" but I get your point. I'll keep scanning AT for some deals. Only PITA thing is I have to check reviews and prices for all the bows because I don't know much about them. Thanks for the help

All you need are the $15 draw mods on that Maxxis and viola! 29 inch draw. I had an extra set last year that I sold.

The available draw lengths depend on what cams are on the bow though. Trying to find the lengths you can do with #2 cams.

in todays market bow do not hold value, fortunate for us because the $900 bow that was all the rage last year is still awesome but comes at a much more reasonable cost example, the PSE brute you wanted for $550, there is one on AT now 1 week old for $375 fully loaded

Pick a bow and stick with it. I read somewhere that people don't stick with there bows for more than a couple years. Gotta have bigger and better. Don't know why. I would figure the first year would be spent getting everything set up right. Then shooting to be cofortable when the big boy walks by. Thats when you sell it. Crazy in my opinion. I know people that are killing deer with perfectly tuned bows twenty years old and they shoot awesome.

Like someone said here shoot a few and see what feel comfortable shooting. You won't be just holding your bow when a deer etc walks by hopefully.

So a buddy of mine just bought a Mathews Switchback XT from his friend. I shot it a handful of times and it is very smooth and is quick and silent. I was surprised to hear that there Switchbacks were made in 2006 I believe. Anyone use one of these? I'm wondering if I should look for one used (4-700) or try and get a newer Mathews.

any newer mathews will be an awesome bow. or the mission by mathews get a lot of mathews perks for cheaper price. i have a mission venture that i love, its very reliable and accurate, it does have a touch of weight to it compared to newer mathews stuff but youll have that for the price point. but all around an excellent bow that shoots extremely well for the price tag.

Yes it is!! really quiet
I shot it a handful of times and it is very smooth and is quick and silent.

bad enough guys speak of a noise that goes over 75 db's as being "quiet", now we have a guy who shoots a high decibel level compound and the result is a " silent "arrow. priceless stuff.

Like I said earlier, a new Martin bow is a good value compared to other manufacturers high end prices.